Baking with sugar alternatives like xylitol

pms543

I wondered if anyone bakes using xylitol or Erythritol?
I’m also Coeliac as well as diabetic 2
I made some fairy cakes today using gluten free flour , zanthum gum and xylitol.
They came out lovely and yet after eating one my tongue is tingling! Not sure if it’s the sugar or the xanthum gum?
Definitely not something I wanted to have happen!!
Any advice?
Thanks

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I usually use Erythritol or an erythritol and stevia mix, never had an issue with either of these.

pms543

Thanks Tricia, I will have a go again using those as I’ve got erythitol in, altho am sure same thing happened with that plus cake went hard next day!
I’m determined to keep trying lol

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people really notice the tingling effect of sweeteners. I don't myself, but do use the smallest amounts possible, often cutting the amount in the recipe in half. But beware not all sweeteners are equal, some you use the same amount as sugar, some half and some only 10%
How was your bg? Mine would have spiked because of the flour rather than the sweeteners

Reactions: pms543

pms543

Some people really notice the tingling effect of sweeteners. I don't myself, but do use the smallest amounts possible, often cutting the amount in the recipe in half. But beware not all sweeteners are equal, some you use the same amount as sugar, some half and some only 10%
How was your bg? Mine would have spiked because of the flour rather than the sweeteners

My bg went up by 1.2mmol which, was really good. Only had half a fairy bun tho as couldn’t tolerate the taste!!
I will experiment using less sugar and see. Thanks for the tip!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is unlikely to be the gum - it is used for a lot of things these days and seems fairly inert.

Reactions: pms543

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a monk fruit sweetener for baking cakes and find it has no weird aftertaste. It has no impact on my bg either. (Be aware xylitol is fatal to pets.)
Also, to keep things low I use almond and/or coconut flour instead of wheat flour. There are many experts online with tried and tested recipes, I like ‘All day I dream about food’ on Instagram for recipes. Also, ‘Wholesome Yum’ is helpful. I love low carb baking. Custard tart is a particular favourite in our house.

D

Deleted member 543160

I've use erythritol on its own or combined with stevia for my baking, and don't have any issues with taste, though if I use liquid stevia in drinks I sometimes get a bit of an after taste if I've been a bit over enthusiastic with it. I've never had a baking recipe that included xanthan gum, but I sometimes use it as a thickener in sauces without any taste issues.

I use nut meal/flours (almond, hazelnut, pecan. walnut and sometimes sesame seed) but cannot not get on with coconut flour which is often recommended. Much of the time I've simply adapted my previous recipes to low carb versions, but as @ShelleyDubs says there are many tried and tested recipes available from various online sources now. (We used to have T1 forum member who had an excellent diabetic specific baking site, but this is no longer online although it appears she may now have a Facebook version.)

As a long time dog owner I never use xylitol because it 's extremely toxic to them, although apparently it's recommended for baking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jantin