Barefoot Advice

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
No need for sorry l know my folks and Brian are still with me and Brian is still smacking his head into a proverbial wall at me l drove him nuts when he was alive l still do now he is passed. l was trying to explain where my distrust came from and why you need to lead your life after taking into account all risks.

Thanks Bear thats what l will aim for will use that description l was trying to work out what to tell them l need to be able to do but was unsure of how to perfect wording. .

My DN isnt to bad so if l can use that as a positive then l have met some of the poddys when they dealt with my folks as l am going to the same place.... l guess on the positive at least l don't have ticklish feet.
Opinionated.... if we wasn't we wouldn't survive would we Andy?
whistle2.gif

2 positives in one post...you lot are a bad influence on me....Thanks

MID

Reactions: 2 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I actually cannot stand anyone touching my feet, I have an intense phobia for it, not even my wife get to touch them. she does do the visual check for me though. One of our friends is a podiatrist and she showed us both what to do, fortunately my feet are extremely sensitive still which is just as well, as I only wear sandals during the summer and I tend to get pebbles from our beach caught up in them all the time. I get rid of the shoes as soon as I get through my front door, I like to feel the floor directly with my toes.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I used to be a barefoot woman, love to feel the different textures beneath my feet, especially grass. Visits to podiatry usually involves "discussion" followed by big sighs from them as I slip back into my beloved, oh so comfy crocs. However, for safety sake I do now wear appropriate footwear (walking boots) for clambering over rough terrain. MID, I envy you your tough feet! Good luck with your appointment and stay cool ;)

Ali B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure where to post this but here seems as good as any. Is there any other barefooters out there? I was born and brought up in Rhodeisa now zimbabwe and l dont do shoes. I wear them if l have to like going to work, and in some shops l put them on but often don't. Yes l walk around the streets barefoot. And l drive barefoot.... and no it isnt illegal. Crocks are a lifesaver before them my feet suffered even more in shoes when l had to wear them even for short times.

In winter l sometimes use socks but still walk barefoot even shot distances but as the top of my feet get cold l do tend to put my crocks on... not always socks though.

I mentioned it to the DN at my first visit along with the info hell will freeze over before l start shoes... her reply with a huge smile "they are going to love you then, they like lace up shoes.

The problem is my feet are used to fresh air and suffer badly in shoes, l have a feeling it is going to be a bit like the nhs treat the VLCD as the brits have a pathological fear of barefeet, l am no longer polite to people who make comments to me in the street.

Anyone any hints about what l will face at the podiatrist and or are you barefooters yourselves. Ok if l end up with a problem l will look at shoes but till then l am not going to cause a different problem by following their rules to stop one problem.
I love barefootedness...however i wear my socks as i hate toes!!! Footwear is necessary but theres nothing like kicking your shoes off and stretchiing your feet!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Crocs look dreadful but they are so comfortable, plenty of room to wiggle the toes and no need for socks. i resisted them for years but would not be without mine now.

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my feet and everything else is ticklish, i went to the chiropractor and was jumping around everytime she touched my back, she thought it was painful which indirectly it was, each touch tickled which made me jump which hurt like buggery, the chiropractor said i was the most ticklish person she had ever met, feet....dont even go there, if one of the cats brush past my feet i hit the roof, im so ticklish its painful, the kids of course think this is hysterical and threaten to tickle my feet when i use n word lol

Reactions: 3 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Crocs look dreadful but they are so comfortable, plenty of room to wiggle the toes and no need for socks. i resisted them for years but would not be without mine now.

:)I am now of an age when I really don't give a toss what something looks like..... I have several pairs of crocs and have been known to wear a different colour on each foot, carefully co ordinated of course. Being older is such fun! :p

Reactions: 9 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Poddy today was really pleased.
She was a very sensible lady at the very start l said l should warn you l am a barefooter and am expecting a yelling match over shoes.

She said no problem l am not here to force just advise, we had a sensible chat and l explained what happened to me with shoes. She said let me do the checks then we can make a plan if any damage shows... l passed all the tests she did just said my pulse is weak to feel, l know that though hence not allowed to give blood, was told l needed it more than they did. She said any damage that doesn't heal or tingling etc then get back in touch. Given me the number and said would rather l did what l was comfy with and my feet that yes after 51 years l probably could cause more damage forcing feet into shoes why collect trouble, she is happy l was a realist over problems and didn't have my head in the sand and if the slightest concern l have no worries about getting in touch. :)

LesH

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I go bare foot when ever possible just using common sense as to when and where
For example I wear shoes in my garden as I have pyrocantha, rose, hawthorn, holly and bramble there
Crocs are no protection against thorns

hornplayer

I don't think crocs look bad, - I borrowed my then nine year old nephews crocs wellies to wear in a mud bath eisteddfod field last year and the kids in their flowery wellies wanted to know where I got them. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I go bare foot when ever possible just using common sense as to when and where
For example I wear shoes in my garden as I have pyrocantha, rose, hawthorn, holly and bramble there
Crocs are no protection against thorns
Absolutely, we have a pseudo acacia shading the terrace and their thorns are wicked. I've had more than one go straight through Crocs and into my foot. I've got good feeling, good circulation and good glucose levels so I feel it but at the moment, not a great risk. If any one of those wasn't normal then I would have to give up wearing Crocs in the garden.

LesH

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Crocs can be very comfortable and do not need much looking after
Just wash them under the tap occasionally
They can be dangerous on a wet smooth floor as they are very slippery

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone regardless, whether diabetic or not, will have foot problems if they are not cared for. It is always best to wear the approximate footwear, what ever you do. If out hiking, correct fitting is important, that goes forevery one.

I heal very quickly, for my way of thinking, as long as the circulation is good, then there will be a good supply of blood, oxygen ect and eating the appropriate foods which aid healing, there won't be too much of a problem. As a newly diagnosed diabetic. I shall continue as I am, with a few modification.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
get a lancet, jab the toes, heel and sole, any areas that feel pressure and not sharp...you need to wear shoes.....feel sharp all over, you don't need shoes

it's amazing what dr's pull out of diabetic feet that the owner had no idea they even stepped on it

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
get a lancet, jab the toes, heel and sole, any areas that feel pressure and not sharp...you need to wear shoes.....feel sharp all over, you don't need shoes

it's amazing what dr's pull out of diabetic feet that the owner had no idea they even stepped on it

For me, i have the same feeling in my feet as always. Ouchhhh.
When i had horses. I turned out my friend's horse out in the field. A huge 17 hand warmblood, started prancing around. It landed on my foot. Luckily it was winter. Otherwise it may have shattered on hard ground, rather than ankle deep mud.

Any way, i had fun sticking needles into the area, could not feel a thing. As it happens, it is fine now.
People with neuropathy have to be so careful.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate wearing wearing shoes. I go bear foot, when ever I can.

H

Hooked

I used to go barefoot all the time at home, and wore the vibram five fingers out walking. Then one day I dropped a wee table on my big toe whilst cleaning in the house. Pain was awful. Eventually ended up losing the toe nail. Months of bandaging and waiting for foot to heal. Years later the sensation in it never returned fully and still get pains in it. I now have mild neuropathy and wish I'd been so much more careful.