Basic Information For New Members

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So perhaps you could devise one?

I would certainly be happy to provide input. But my experience as a T1 is only on a newly diagnosed level. I’m only just hatched. There are far more experienced T1’s on here, big roosters and hens who would do it more justice.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
A T1 diagnosis is a massive deal.
In many cases a T2 diagnosis is too. That's not to say I downplay T1 because of course I don't - I have close family members with T1 since childhood and I have seen what they go through. But *some* T2s also have a hard time, because of factors beyond diabetes.

I agree the info pack could do with a short para saying something like "this info is designed more for T2," with a link to info about T1 and the other types.

I agree with what you're saying but the longer the info is, the less likely people are to read it.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In many cases a T2 diagnosis is too. That's not to say I downplay T1 because of course I don't - I have close family members with T1 since childhood and I have seen what they go through. But *some* T2s also have a hard time, because of factors beyond diabetes.

I agree the info pack could do with a short para saying something like "this info is designed more for T2," with a link to info about T1 and the other types.

I agree with what you're saying but the longer the info is, the less likely people are to read it.

Yes that’s why having two separate ones makes sense.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes well I’m talking once diagnosis has been given.
I think a big difference is that many type2's get their diagnosis and a handful of tablets and that's it. Type1's get insulin, so usually a bit more information, so they tend to have more specific questions when they post for the first time.
This is mostly picked up very well by forum members and they usually get appropriate answers and directions.
I do agree that it would be great to welcome new type1's with something like daisy's sheet for type1's to complement the more personal answers . Go Ahead and do it, @mountaintom and @Mel dCP !

Reactions: mountaintom

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well I consider them two completely separate conditions so they should have separate info packs. Unless this is primarily a t2 forum...
Of course they are completely separate conditions and this is not a primarily T2 forum except in numbers. Everyone here works hard to make people feel included regardless of type. There are many other types beyond 1 and 2, also. Once you start having separate info packs you run the risk of choosing the wrong one for the person because sometimes they and their doctor don't know yet which type they have and if they do, it can change. Sometimes no info is better than wrong info?

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps we could do one for confirmed T1, keep @daisy1’s for T2 and come up with a general one for not-sure-yet and vague diagnoses? I’d be happy to be the designated T1 person, as being self employed I’m online a fair bit.

That sounds good.

Reactions: LooperCat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A T1 diagnosis is enough of a trauma. I think throwing “low carb” at somebody on day one is irresponsible. There should be advice for “early care” (getting to grips with the whole bloody thing) and then advice for “further down the line” and the possibility of lowering carbs etc. It could be too much for a newly diagnosed T1. And nothing is mentioned about emotional care, psychological stuff.

When I was diagnosed in 1989.............no internet, no forums, not much support as I didn't know anyone who was type 1, so just got on with it best I could in very difficult times. Forums are a good place for support and help, at least nowadays, we can google as well. I have seen many changes over the years on this site and as I mentioned in a another thread, we are a small minority along with some other's which were unheard of decades ago. I would suggest you could tag administrator and ask about amending and updating the basic information :)

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
If diagnoses change then perhaps there should be no welcome info pack until we have a written letter from an endo.
the time spent discussing this could be better spent writing a new info pack

Reactions: EllieM and Garway