Basic Information For New Members

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
In many cases a T2 diagnosis is too. That's not to say I downplay T1 because of course I don't - I have close family members with T1 since childhood and I have seen what they go through. But *some* T2s also have a hard time, because of factors beyond diabetes.

I agree the info pack could do with a short para saying something like "this info is designed more for T2," with a link to info about T1 and the other types.

I agree with what you're saying but the longer the info is, the less likely people are to read it.

Then the site will have to change the basic information pack info and then give is ALL a crash course in learning shorthand :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think it’s safe to say *all* T1’s have a hard time.
Goodnight all.

It is a hard slog at times, with injections, finger pricking, exercise, planning, oh just so many and doing it for decades too, takes it toll.

Reactions: Garway

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I think it’s safe to say *all* T1’s have a hard time.
Goodnight all.
I realise you are having a hard time and I send you my best wishes. Please try not to minimise the hard time that others have, though. It's not a competition to see who has it worst. We are here to support everyone.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I realise you are having a hard time and I send you my best wishes. Please try not to minimise the hard time that others have, though. It's not a competition to see who has it worst. We are here to support everyone.

Apologies. I’m sorry if that was out of order.
I do find this forum’s split personality, its duality, to be an absolute belter of a headache. And the naming scheme of the disease/condition makes me angry and frustrated. They’re not the same thing. They’re not brother and sister. They’re like, second cousins or something. Or workmates, even.

There are some good folk on here. Positive people. Yourself included. I appreciate it.

Reactions: EllieM

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One difficulty with an info pack for T1 is that it's not always clear at the start which type a person has. I don't see anything in the current info pack that would be bad advice for T1s or one of the other types.
We also don't know if we can trust what type someone says they are, and even of someone gives what their GP told them, the GP may be wrong.

Reactions: Jenny15
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

My granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years, seriously ill fighting for her life on HDU and if she lives to a long age, ie 92 1/2 years, she will of had it for 90 years, I hope she does have long and a happy life and a cure or a less intrusive management, will happen in her lifetime, so yes, it takes it toll on the body and the mind too. From a nana

Reactions: mountaintom

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We also don't know if we can trust what type someone says they are, and even of someone gives what their GP told them, the GP may be wrong.

So perhaps the info pack shouldn’t be given out. It should be there to be found not thrust upon people?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

If the North Tee's hospital, where I was diagnosed ( not my home town) have diagnosed me incorrectly............. they better watch out!!

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the North Tee's hospital, where I was diagnosed ( not my home town) have diagnosed me incorrectly............. they better watch out!!

Hahaha. Can you imagine getting a letter from them all these years later: “we regret to inform you...”

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
My granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years, seriously ill fighting for her life on HDU and if she lives to a long age, ie 92 1/2 years, she will of had it for 90 years, I hope she does have long and a happy life and a cure or a less intrusive management, will happen in her lifetime, so yes, it takes it toll on the body and the mind too. From a nana
I know, and I have never said otherwise. My reasons for saying "some" T2s also have a hard time were explained in the post. We don't know what *other* serious, even life-threatening conditions a non T1 on this forum might have. I want to wrap every T1 and their family in love and support, but there's also enough room in my heart for others with life-threatening and life-altering diagnoses too.

Reactions: zand

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So perhaps the info pack shouldn’t be given out. It should be there to be found not thrust upon people?

There is nothing harmful in the current pack regardless of the type of diabetes someone has. Most people seem to find it useful.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I do find this forum’s split personality, its duality, to be an absolute belter of a headache. And the naming scheme of the disease/condition makes me angry and frustrated. They’re not the same thing. They’re not brother and sister. They’re like, second cousins or something. Or workmates, even.

There are some good folk on here. Positive people. Yourself included. I appreciate it.
They both need renaming. A knackered pancreas is totally different to insulin resistance, all the two conditions share is a set of similar symptoms if left untreated. And a couple of the meds occasionally cross over - metformin and insulin. Sleep well, friends xxx

Reactions: mountaintom

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Thanks, I knew you weren't trying to be out of order and that you're (understandably) having a hard time. T1s are a minority group here but imagine being part of an even smaller group, where the T2 and T1 info has to be sifted through every time to find what's applicable to LADA, or T3 or RH, for example. That's why I support an umbrella approach rather than a duality or singularity.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is there any way I can use the forum app and only see T1 posts?

I personally wouldn't just want to see type 1 all the time, as I have other conditions, also pregnancy, as i had my child at 42 years, so I would like to support other's if possible, but the site can get overwhelming at times.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hahaha. Can you imagine getting a letter from them all these years later: “we regret to inform you...”
I have had news like that from doctors many times, like, about a dozen times.