Basic Information For New Members

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A T1 diagnosis is enough of a trauma. I think throwing “low carb” at somebody on day one is irresponsible. There should be advice for “early care” (getting to grips with the whole bloody thing) and then advice for “further down the line” and the possibility of lowering carbs etc. It could be too much for a newly diagnosed T1. And nothing is mentioned about emotional care, psychological stuff.

Yes, I read some members with type 1, especially younger people than myself who can't cope with it and see it as a death sentence. it's not, but it feels that way to them. When I was diagnosed, hundreds of miles away from my home, my EX had left and I had two children to take care of, aged 12 and 6, I stayed in North Tees hospital for one week and then was advised to stay with my relative for another week to get to grips with type 1, also I had a long journey back to Hampshire,on my own, via two coaches. I just had to get on with it all and that's what I have done. I find that now, I go through more emotional and psychological 'problems' than I ever did before.

Reactions: mountaintom
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s a t2 forum essentially.

I have seen changes over the years on this site and it is largely type 2 based, because about 90% are type 2, that's why the Type 1 R Us was started to share life's up's and down's with type 1 with some chat, banter and good old fashioned whinge! too ! Sometimes we can't see the wood for the tree's and the type 1 thread let's a little glimmer of sunshine and light into our lives to come together and not feel so much like a wallflower or put on the back burner.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s fine. I just need to find a forum that is for t1’s.

Please don't go, because it's trying to find a balance with everything that is going on, also, there is also a Scream thread.........

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a t2 forum essentially.
Yes. Most diabetics are T2 of course.

There is also a big difference in what happens when you are diagnosed with T1 as opposed to T2. With T1 you are likely to be already very ill and get medical advice and treatment right away, and rightly so. So your early days advice will come directly from your HCPs, again rightly so as they are best placed to help individuals.

When I was diagnosed I was told " you are diabetic, so we know why you have been feeling so grotty recently, come to clinic in 4 weeks time and don't eat anything sweet in the meantime " Say what?!! I had been feeling grotty for 20 years! (insulin resistance does that to you). I was already low carbing to try to lose weight so I knew that it wasn't just sweet things I needed to avoid. I have never been given any other advice from my GP other than being handed the DUK booklet at my first clinic. I saw several things in that booklet that were frankly quite wrong for a T2 and I knew this at diagnosis. I think DUK is more geared up to help T1s, but I may be wrong. The advice to ask for an extra bread roll on a flight was ludicrous for a T2, but may be helpful for a T1. I don't know I am not one. The booklet was for all newly diagnosed diabetics. My point is that DUK, the biggest diabetes charity does not cater adequately for T2s, the biggest group of diabetics.

Maybe this site appears to be more T2 focussed simply because more T2s come here because they recognise that DUK, the official diabetes charity gives really bad advice for living with T2. This site is a good one. It caters for everyone, but it's up to us to make it work for everyone.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It’s fine. I just need to find a forum that is for t1’s.

There's a T1 subforum here....
I agree it can be frustrating when someone gives T2 advice to a T1 on these forums (to be fair, it's usually because they are on a browser/device/whatever that doesn't show up the correct diabetic type of the poster), and as a T1 I do sometimes get overwhelmed by some of the low carb zealotry on this site (though if I were T2 I'd definitely go for it). But there are plenty of commonalities between the diseases (blood testing meters, coping with unsympathetic GPs, diabetic complications, depression etc etc).
It doesn't feel very inclusive to me to tell someone they can't post in a particular forum, and remember this is supposed to be a diabetic support group....

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A suggestion @mountaintom How about starting a thread for ideas for a new welcome pack for newbie T1s? If you had a thread then all T1s could contribute and decide what it could contain and get together to make a good pack with good info?

It isn't down to the administrators, it's down to us to make this forum work.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A suggestion @mountaintom How about starting a thread for ideas for a new welcome pack for newbie T1s? If you had a thread then all T1s could contribute and decide what it could contain and get together to make a good pack with good info?

It isn't down to the administrators, it's down to us to make this forum work.

Hi Zand, Mel and mountaintom decided to work on that idea last night and Jaylee suggested it could then put forward to the appropriate person or persons on site.

Reactions: zand

Rusne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with T1 and finding this forum was a massive help. I did not think actually that it is T2 mostly. I just really appreciate help and support and the fact that members are so active. I would always get a reply.
So I dont think isolating T1 is necessary nor that it would improve anything.
This place is here for support and exchange and maybe thats more important than giving advice.
Learning about T1 is a journey and you cant put it all to 1 info sheet.

I think the recomended list of books to read would be good for new T1s.

If I could go back to the day of diagnosis this is what I would recommend to myself:

Take it slow and do not push or blame yourself. You will have a lot of time to learn and master diabetes care

Have a support circle. Meet other T1s and ask them questions. They will be very happy to share and the information they provide is very useful. Talk about what bothers you and how you feel. You will discover that youre not alone in this.

Learn about your condition as much as possible to be able to discus with the medical professionals and ask for the things you need.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
It’s about dinner time I’m guessing. That means you’ll be in bed soon. I’ll come back later.
Your approach is interesting, I'll give you that. It shouldn't matter whether I'm here or not. Are you really that bothered by a random stranger online? I've said nothing that is different to most others on this thread, and I certainly haven't targeted you. If you don't like reading my posts, then don't. You've been given valid suggestions by several people. Up to you whether you are open to hearing them or just want to provoke people.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I dont see a problem. People respond to a new person by giving them a link to daisy1's for her welcome post. Often people dont say what type they are initially. But if the welcome advice is given to a T1, there are still useful bits in it, and the T1 can ignore the irrelevant bits. At least people have responded and shown they care enough to try to help.

I like being able to talk to all sorts of diabetics. I dont want the forum divided up. And I have learned over the years on here that everyone is unique and individual. There seems to be no consistent dosage or management which works for all of a particular type, regardless of which of the 5 or so types a person is.

edited for spelling.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plenty of people DO advise on insulin doses here. Sometimes dangerously. That was kind of my point.
That newly diagnosed t1’s are getting the wrong advice here. And too much of it. Being recommended a low carb diet in your first week of diagnosis is not a good idea. The only advice given to newly diagnosed t1’s on here should be “follow your DSN’s advice”. Hugs and support is all very well and fantastic - that side of the forum is brilliant - but people should not be advising newly diagnosed t1’s what to eat and how to take their medication.

Should you see a post containing erroneous information, particularly where medication of safety is involved, then your clear action is to Report it, using the Report button under every single post, and where you feel it appropriate, post a cautionary post yourself.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I go on to recent posts when I log on then I catch up with posts that I have been reading and then see if any topics appeal and it doesn't matter if they are written by type 1 or 2 they may contain helpful or interesting things We are all here to help one another and criticising isn't kind That's my ,2 penny worth
Carol

Reactions: EllieM
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was diagnosed with T1 and finding this forum was a massive help. I did not think actually that it is T2 mostly. I just really appreciate help and support and the fact that members are so active. I would always get a reply.
So I dont think isolating T1 is necessary nor that it would improve anything.
This place is here for support and exchange and maybe thats more important than giving advice.
Learning about T1 is a journey and you cant put it all to 1 info sheet.

I think the recomended list of books to read would be good for new T1s.

If I could go back to the day of diagnosis this is what I would recommend to myself:

Take it slow and do not push or blame yourself. You will have a lot of time to learn and master diabetes care

Have a support circle. Meet other T1s and ask them questions. They will be very happy to share and the information they provide is very useful. Talk about what bothers you and how you feel. You will discover that youre not alone in this.

Learn about your condition as much as possible to be able to discus with the medical professionals and ask for the things you need.

Hi, I don't see it as isolating type 1, maybe just bringing it to the forefront occasionally, as it can get left on the back burner and this is only from my own experience and observations. It was very different for me back in 1989 when I was diagnosed, that's for support, on my own with two children and difficult times. But some nice member's on here from other types who are supported and helpful.