Bayer A1C Now SelfCheck, Or Others?

Dan Lockwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Diabetes
I did a quick search and nothing came up, but I'm sure this topic has been discussed before.

If so, can someone post a link to a thread on A1c self test kits?

They run from $40 a pop all the way up over $100. I found a A1c Now SelfCheck kit with four test strips and four lances for $54.

I've read some good and some bad with them and was not happy with my performance in reducing my A1c, but when my doc retook all of my blood work it was only around 3 months since I started the program. I really thought that I should have been lower than I was. I started at 7.6 and when retested I was down to 6.7. About five years ago I just lost weight on my own and kept eating things that I know now probably were not helping me much, but at that time I dropped down to 6.4.

The program I'm on now started out of the gate as gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, no rice, pasta, pizza, breads, pastries, potatoes, beans etc. I drink nothing but water and do not drink any alcohol or smoke. It was hard over the holidays to not sample all the pies, candy, fast foods etc, but I've not cheated once.

So does anyone have any experience with the A1c self test kits?

Thanks in advance.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
They generally work fairly well.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @Rachox. Sorry for delay in replying.

I buy a1c now test kits regularly. I buy a box of 10 for just short of £120. From UK.

They are extremely easy to use. The instructions are very clear.

Re accuracy, the jury is out. When I've been for my GP hba1c I've done an a1c the same day. It can be about 4 points out. That said I recently had some private bloods done. Hba1c came back at 37. A1c now same day was 36.

I tend to do one once a month to check I'm on track. I love it.

Any more questions just please ask. Happy to help.

Reactions: Rachox

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Since HBA1C is said to reflect the previous 3 months effect of BSLs is a monthly reading
really going to be that useful vs the cost in doing so?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did wonder about the A1c test kits when I first read about them on the forum a while back, but decided to save myself money I could often ill afford. And I prefer to use my day to day results to keep me on track though.

My meter provides various statistics including average glucose levels for different periods, and if I want to check my HbA1c I'll use our diabetes.co.uk glucose/HbA1c conversion calculator (here). This figure is always slightly (about 2 points) lower than my "official" results, but I'm still able to accurately predict what these will be. :D

Robbity

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since HBA1C is said to reflect the previous 3 months effect of BSLs is a monthly reading
really going to be that useful vs the cost in doing so?
Kitedoc, my understanding is the A1c test is significantly weighted to the most recent couple of weeks, so a monthly test, where impractical for the NHS could likely give indications of variations in control for those who choose to invest in the,selves.

So convinced is on well known UK GP that he retests newly diagnosed T2s, who are engaged to review their diet and lifestyle at the 6 week point, rather than wait the more usual 3 months, as he finds the 6 week test can show a shirt in the result, whic h the patient can find extremely motivational. At the point of a new, often bewildering T2 diagnosis, 3 months is a long time to wait for personalised feedback - especially as many are discouraged, rightly or, in my view, wrongly from self-testing.