BBC Radio Manchester

LindaRB

I've been listening to BBC Radio Manchester all morning and they've just done an interview with a diabetic that has created a smart phone app for food monitoring. I can't remember her name but her app sounds pretty good. Has anyone used anything like this before? I'll try and find the interview if possible.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
LindaRB said:
I've been listening to BBC Radio Manchester all morning and they've just done an interview with a diabetic that has created a smart phone app for food monitoring. I can't remember her name but her app sounds pretty good. Has anyone used anything like this before? I'll try and find the interview if possible.

No never used one but have heard they are available Linda!

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There are absolutely loads of Apps available. Got a couple or three on my BB......depends on what you want and what you want to use it for.......information, data, recording personal details, health details etc.

Must admit, some are useful and some others are just a gimmick. Prefer to keep all my Diabetic, Healthcare stuff on my PC. Many are all geared to US sites as well so if you are looking at foods you have to trawl through stuff that we don't have in the UK. Just my opinion.

ameliaB

I heard that on Radio Manchester! It was for the DF Diary iphone app... but sorry, I cant remember the womans name who they interviewed :(

LindaRB

I've found the interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00c67g3/Heather_Stott_Sir_Ian_McKellen_tackles_homophobic_bullying/

The interview is at about 1:45.

The app is called DF Diary, I'm going to have a play around with it on my iPhone today, it uses English food which is good!

Cugila, which do you use? I might try a few

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have used 'On Track' on my Android phone which is great for tracking progress not only for day to day bg readings but blood pressure, Hb A1c's, pulse and more. I think its available for other platforms and it was free I believe. :D

I did try one or two free and paid for food/carb apps but found none of them useful at all :(

RoyJ

I've used a few apps for my iphone. A lot are pretty expensive, the most I've paid was £8 for diabetic meal planner pro. The app was decent but for the price I paid I didn't think it delivered the goods!

I've used DF diary before and it does make use of English foods, I think the best thing is that is includes a lot of UK restaurants so you can pretty accurately record your carbs when you're eating out as it provides the nutrition information for you.

ameliaB

I downloaded it last night for my iPhone....£2.99 is the most ive paid for an app to be honest... but so far so good.

Obviously still early days for me, but it's the only UK specific one I've seen and so far so good. I won't do away with my pen and paper method of monitoring just yet (old school lol) as I want to get used to it, but it's the best ive come across yet.

I recommended a friend should download it too but shes got Android and I dont think its available for android which is a bit of a downer about it.

LindaRB said:
I've found the interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... _bullying/

The interview is at about 1:45.

The app is called DF Diary, I'm going to have a play around with it on my iPhone today, it uses English food which is good!

ameliaB

Will recommend that to Android-owning friend!

Thanks Sid!

Sid Bonkers said:
I have used 'On Track' on my Android phone which is great for tracking progress not only for day to day bg readings but blood pressure, Hb A1c's, pulse and more. I think its available for other platforms and it was free I believe. :D

I did try one or two free and paid for food/carb apps but found none of them useful at all :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
LindaRB said:

Linda.
Sorry about that.....been a tad busy the last couple of days and missed your post...... :(

These are what I have as most are free on BB, not sure if you can get them on iPhone ?

Brio Calorie Tracker (Lite). BrioMobile.com
Calorie Count Nutrition search. Caloriecount.com
Calorie Counter. Fat Secret
Calorie Counter for Blackberry. My NetDiary
Diet and Calorie Tracker. Sparkpeople Inc
GI & Calorie Counter. Handyx Ltd
My Personal Health Record. myphr.ca

These were just picked up from BB Application World site where there are loads more.....some you need to pay for. Mostly I just use the PC but some of them have food lists which are good for finding out how many carbs etc in a food item when I'm out. Used infrequently though as most of the stuff I now know off the top of my head. There are also some good hints and tips, information etc in some......others leave a lot to be desired and are really just a way of getting you to purchase a fuller version. :(

ameliaB

Are any of those UK specific Cugila?

Thanks!

cugila said:
LindaRB said:

Brio Calorie Tracker (Lite). BrioMobile.com
Calorie Count Nutrition search. Caloriecount.com
Calorie Counter. Fat Secret
Calorie Counter for Blackberry. My NetDiary
Diet and Calorie Tracker. Sparkpeople Inc
GI & Calorie Counter. Handyx Ltd
My Personal Health Record. myphr.ca

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I think that one or two are UK sources but in the main as with most Apps they all seem to be US based. Doesn't make it a bad thing.....just sometimes they concentrate on calories where I concentrate on carbs. The data is usually full of ALL the nutrition info where appropriate though.