Be careful on holiday type 2

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently on holiday and have been testing whilst away.
I have been drinking shorts with diet coke and have found that on some occasions I must have been served normal coke because I have in explained spikes.

Just be careful

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
It bugs me that pubs don't sell diet lemonade :(
I've been sure before that I've been served full leaded diet coke (other brands too!), but the bar staff have insisted it was unleaded.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The same with any food as well, I could taste the sugar in some beef yesterday, so got that exchanged.

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
I have been drinking shorts with diet coke and have found that on some occasions I must have been served normal coke because I have in explained spikes.

Just be careful

Unfortunately I think that one happens a lot - my step-brother who is T2 can luckily taste the difference between diet and fully-loaded.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I was in Germany at a brewery. Husband and all the others drinking beer. I asked for diet Coke, didnt have any. Barmaid suggested diet Sprite, I said yes please and ordered a pint. Drank two pints (it was very very hot) over a couple of hours and my blood sugar shot right up. I had been given full fat Sprite. Was seriously unhappy.

Reactions: grante

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I always ask for bottled diet coke instead of draught. If they don't have it I have sparkling mineral water with a slice of lemon instead.

gillianoleary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Baby corns. Wrong, wrong, wrong in so many ways!!
As already suggested using your meter is a great way to confirm the product you've been given. I regularly do this when only draught is available or ask for water.

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Just be careful

These days I don't drink soda unless I can see the bottle or can it is coming out of - much safer that way.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As already suggested using your meter is a great way to confirm the product you've been given. I regularly do this when only draught is available or ask for water.
Can be a very expensive exercise if your a T2 as is the OP and have to buy your own strips. It is a good tip though.
I stick to labelled bottles and cans, sparkling water - I carry one of those little squeezy juices - think they're called "squashed" in my handbag if I feel the need for a different taste - and of course there is always red wine :)

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you use a blood glucose meter you can use that to test if it's sugar free or not.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

I've tried this before on a couple of machines, and got nothing but errors. Would that be because the fizz I'm testing is definintely diet?
I'm guessing that if it wasn't, I'd get an horrendous reading?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a self-funder, I would be inclined to consider glucose urine sticks, rather than meter strips. OK, the post they come in is bigger, but it would still go into a handbag easily.

Enjoy your holibobs. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It has been said some people react to artificial sweeteners as much as sugar.

If I'm not having spirits or red wine it's always sparkling water with lemon, lime or both.

No problem for me as artificial sweeteners are not my tummies friend. Bloat cramp...

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had been given full fat Sprite. Was seriously unhappy.
What is full fat sprite?
From what I recall Sprite doen't contain any oil, milk, cream or lard. Could you explain it to me?
:wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky:

Asides the joke, I normally order either water, in France I order "une carafe d'eau" because it's free, or if I feel that a bit of achool is ok a glass of red wine.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Get some urine glucose drip sticks they work to check if you have been given the correct coke. (Try them on both normal and diet code to see what color to expect for each.)

Also remember to leave a trip adviser review for every bar the tries to kill you by giving you normal coke when you order diet (the other way round could kill someone with T1 if the had injected for the full sugar coke).