Becoming label aware

Nosila1

I have finally come to terms with needing to love myself a little more and take my T2 seriously. In doing so I have become more label aware.
My diabetic journey started with Gestational Diabetes 11 years ago when I was put straight onto insulin. Was not tested again after giving birth for a year or so where I was then found to be T2 and have been ever since. Currently on Metformin and Alogliptin.
I recall, I think, from when I was pregnant that anything above 10g per 100g carb that sugars was high. Is this a figure I should be looking for now? I see people on here mentioning the amount of carbs but seems to be the overall carbs, not 'that sugar'.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's fairly common knowledge that all carbs turn into sugar when eaten so most people look at restricting the total carb number of what they eat.
Limiting to 10g per 100g of carbs is a good start (depending obviously on how much you eat of that particular thing. )

Nosila1

It's fairly common knowledge that all carbs turn into sugar when eaten so most people look at restricting the total carb number of what they eat.
Limiting to 10g per 100g of carbs is a good start (depending obviously on how much you eat of that particular thing. )
Thank you for this. I do know my carbs in general need to reduce as I will do anything for bread, potatoes and pasta! I don’t generally have a sweet tooth at all so know carbs are my vice. The last few weeks I have been getting better and it is gradually getting easier (or just maybe slightly less hard!) Hopefully when I have cracked this I can look at carbs overall on labelling

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Nosila1
for me ti's all around 30g carbs per meal if possible.
sometimes i go over that to 40g per meal.

i normally eat 2 time a day, but the 2nd meal may be more of a snack

So for me, all food that looks like food should look ..i eat
veg is veg, meat is meat..type thing

i do look at the back of other foods to check the carb content
so have a little rhyme i like to recite when shopping..

carbs per 100
Under 5 that will help me thrive.:happy:
Between 5-10 MIGHT have it again......:D
Over 10.............................................AAARGGHH..:wideyed::woot::***:

Ok well, almost true,
i do now i am more aware, add a few things closer to the 10 then i would have.

I try to balance the carbs with the meal,
So it's all about HOW do i use it ?
how much will i use
and how much will i enjoy it, V worry
i did worry that some sauces for example, were higher carbs, but once i reminded myself for some it would be a splash.
i reasoned that included in a meal, they would still keep me under the bar i had set per meal.

AS for the Carbs & sugars part,
i believe

carbs is the whole thing.
All carbs turn into sugar, and the sugar part is how FAST those sugars hit the blood stream.

so 10g carbs
9g of which sugars = quick hit

10g carbs
2g of which sugars = slow hit

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this. I do know my carbs in general need to reduce as I will do anything for bread, potatoes and pasta! I don’t generally have a sweet tooth at all so know carbs are my vice. The last few weeks I have been getting better and it is gradually getting easier (or just maybe slightly less hard!) Hopefully when I have cracked this I can look at carbs overall on labelling
Just watched "What's with wheat" on amazon prime.. a very enlightening piece on what happens when you eat wheat and why lots of us shouldn't....ever.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you need a pasta substitute as a carrier for sauce etc, look into spiralizing courgettes. Also lookup on your local internet supermarket sites for konjac. This can be produced and sold as various things and are pasta substitutes. I find them acceptable. Also Oomi noodles. Shiriaki noodles are another one, but you need to know how to prepare/use them for them to be acceptable. I have seen people using aubergine as a replacement pasta for lasagne but have never tried it myself.

Google keto followed by pasta, raviolli etc, whatever you fancy. Check the carb count and ingredients and see if the recipe is acceptable to you.

Reactions: Nosila1

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you need a pasta substitute as a carrier for sauce etc, look into spiralizing courgettes. Also lookup on your local internet supermarket sites for konjac. This can be produced and sold as various things and are pasta substitutes. I find them acceptable. Also Oomi noodles. Shiriaki noodles are another one, but you need to know how to prepare/use them for them to be acceptable. I have seen people using aubergine as a replacement pasta for lasagne but have never tried it myself.

Google keto followed by pasta, raviolli etc, whatever you fancy. Check the carb count and ingredients and see if the recipe is acceptable to you.

On that Konjac noodles a large tesco's does them near me, here in London, guess all the larger ones maybe.
barenaked Noodles.

snapshotimagehandler_462080585.jpeg

Had tried similar before, but not these ones, smell and taste was rather unpleasant, so skipped straight to bin.
Did buy these ones, just so i could honestly say i had given them a proper go

wish me luck..:***:

Just to add, i read the reviews from a few, but his had the best idea to move past the smell

"Yes, they come fishy but there's a trick to get rid of that! Rinse them with water in a colander Put them in a dry pot and add 10ml of Apple Cider Vinegar!! Work the vinegar through with your fingers. Add water to the pot and stir. Drain the noodles and rinse again. Ta-da! No more fishy smell!"

might try that next time out...:watching:

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that I need to give them a couple of rinses under cold water, leave them to rest before heating them. They are OK for me.

Reactions: jjraak

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On that Konjac noodles a large tesco's does them near me, here in London, guess all the larger ones maybe.
barenaked Noodles.

I read somewhere that the Dragon's Den noodles were causing a lot of people stomatch problems. I have not tried that particular variety myself.

snapshotimagehandler_462080585.jpeg

Had tried similar before, but not these ones, smell and taste was rather unpleasant, so skipped straight to bin.
Did buy these ones, just so i could honestly say i had given them a proper go

wish me luck..:***:

Nosila1

Thank you for all the info. I have tried similar noodles to these in the past from Holland and Barrats (can’t think of their name just now) but found it was like trying to eat elastic bands?! Maybe they have moved on a little and I need to give them another go??

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all the info. I have tried similar noodles to these in the past from Holland and Barrats (can’t think of their name just now) but found it was like trying to eat elastic bands?! Maybe they have moved on a little and I need to give them another go??
Not really last time I tried them.. just have more of the nicer stuff?