1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

been called to see the practice nurse following blood test ...

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Disneyfan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Disneyfan

Disneyfan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

... was worried as I felt I'd slipped a little off the wagon ... but turns out my hba1c is actually down (just 1 point to 35) yay! So it's my cholesterol they're calling me back about ... last time it was 4.9 and they keep telling me it should be under 4 if you're diabetic. I know they'll now blame it on my low carbing (cheese has become my snack of choice) so any advice ... am I right to assume I don't want to be on statins?

• Like Like x 2
  2. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Well done for the nice low HbA1c. Unable to tell you anything about statins as the doctor never wanted to put me on them even though I was about 4.5.

3. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine prescribed them but I ain't taking 'em.

4. Janiept

Janiept · Expert

Is it your 'good' or 'bad' cholestrol which is 4.9?
    My GP is quite enlightened and as long as the two are equal maintains that there is no risk to health, as 'good' flushes away 'bad'. So no need for statins for me he says. My readings are 8.
    Also remember that GPs are paid extra for every patient that they prescribe statins to, so they are not paid to be unbiased.

5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I was under the impression it is the triglyceride/HDL ratio that is important and must be under 2. (just divide your triglycerides level by your HDL). My Trig/HDL ratio at my last fasting blood test was 0.8 yet I was still given statins!

6. Disneyfan

ooh thank you for that info ... I don't know what the current level is till I see the nurse tomorrow ... last time (October) it was 4.9 - which was up on the previous six months reading - although they made the point that it was up as my 'good' cholesterol had increased ... I think they were both 2. something but I don't remember. The receptionist just told me that it was a call back because of cholesterol. I only got that much out of her by saying I'd been worried sick about my hba1c since I got the letter on Saturday so could she let me know what I was dealing with.

7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Just see how it goes, if your blood check was a fasting one they should be able to tell you what your lipid breakdown is.

8. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

A level of 4.5 is good so don't worry. They reduce the target every few years to the extent my diabetes GP once said that if they keep at it there will be no fat left in our bodies. It's all very silly, so make up your own mind bearing in mind statins are not a safe drug.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Disneyfan

blood check wasn't fasting. Will see how it goes this evening. To be honest I'm just so relieved that it wasn't about my hba1c I can deal with the rest of it!

10. Disneyfan

ok got my readings ... hdl is 1.9, ldl is 3.5 so overall 5.4 which is why I was called in. Means my ratio is 3. Triglycerides are ok too. She was pushing me to a statin or a low fat diet. Tried to tell me 35 was on the low side for hba1c. I've declined the pills but she wants me back in 3 months for another cholesterol test.

11. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

In my experience, if you keep saying no, eventually they give up. Or you could take the script, pretend to try it out, read up on all the side effects and tell them you stopped taking it because of the side effects :angelic:

The most important ratio apparently is the triglycerides divided by HDL - should be below 1.3. The smaller the number, the more likely you have the large fluffy kind of LDL.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook