Been having lows at night right after taking my Lantus!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.. I’ve tried going down on dosage but it still happens. what’s weird is that when I take my Lantus in the morning, it doesn’t seem to drop me the way it does at night…super weird. Does anyone know why this could happen specifically at night?

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus doesn't have a completely flat activity profile, so it's likely you have less active insulin overnight when you take it in the morning.

I used to go low overnight (with a single pre-bed basal injection), so I split my dose equally between morning and evening (which was also useful for exercise purposes)

I made a MATLAB model that demonstrated this, though it may not be of much use (it's also theoretical only, needs to be validated): https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/insulin-adjustment-mdis.106149/#post-1260351

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogant doctors spreading misinformation insulin price
.. I’ve tried going down on dosage but it still happens. what’s weird is that when I take my Lantus in the morning, it doesn’t seem to drop me the way it does at night…super weird. Does anyone know why this could happen specifically at night?
hey did u find any solution im in the same boat as u i start to lose my mind

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've had a couple of lantus lows (where my bg plummeted after my nightly lantus injection) and as a comsequence I split my lantus dose. That has improved things (still not a lantus fan but that is the only basal available in New Zealand). I think that issue is due to injecting into a vein.

Tagging @Jaylee who has all sorts of experience with lantus strange behaviour

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've had a couple of lantus lows (where my bg plummeted after my nightly lantus injection) and as a comsequence I split my lantus dose. That has improved things (still not a lantus fan but that is the only basal available in New Zealand). I think that issue is due to injecting into a vein.

Tagging @Jaylee who has all sorts of experience with lantus strange behai was

Tagging @Jaylee who has all sorts of experience with lantus strange behaviour
i was injecting 25 units now its just 6 units yet still it causes hypo after 3-6 hour should i split 6 isn't that insufficient

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
well ill go now buy levemir im not even gonna wait for my dr appointment i hated lantus more thn my miseribale life shold i do 1to1 dose convet

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When back when I was on Lantus. I hated the stuff. Changed to split dose Levemir which was better for a few years. Eventually got Tresiba - the best MDI Basel I ever used.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before being on an insulin pump I tried both Lantus and Levemir split dose morning and night and without fail at night I would be low the entire night on either of them even with doses as little as 4u. Was one of the reasons amongst a couple others as to why I was moved to an insulin pump.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't have the option to change basal in New Zealand (though I suspect they might give me a pump) but I do find lantus' quirks much easier to manage now I split the dose.

Reactions: In Response

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't have the option to change basal in New Zealand (though I suspect they might give me a pump) but I do find lantus' quirks much easier to manage now I split the dose.
its not easy like that that **** is unpredictable i tried everything ill go with tresiba or levemir lantus it just dosent suit me this month i saw hell cause of it

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM