Beer festival

Pearsall85

Hey all going to a beer festival in a bit, I'm undecided whether to take a bit of insulin before hand to try and stop the inevitable spike or deal with it afterwards?

Stu

fractureman

I drink loads of real ale mate. Don't bother with insulin not needed. The alcohol will lower your sugar levels later. If anything you need to eat some carbs to stop this later.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I'm not an insulin taker but I can be at 8.5 have a drink (alcoholic ginger beer or red wine and go down to 5.1 with in an hour. I think drinking and being insulin dependant must be a very scary propersition. Stay safe and good luck.

Pearsall85

My experience with beer so far is that I get a low the next morning but while I'm drinking it just goes skyward.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Guess we're all different but generally alcohol will initially raise levels then drop them. I wouldn't take any extra insulin for this reason. May be a better idea just to enjoy the festival but make sure you test prior to going to sleep. That way, you can act accordingly. Either take a few units if very high or a snack if low. Good luck.
Mo

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you don't have insulin and have a load of beer then your BGs will go high. Each pint had around 15g carbs in. I don't drink beer much any more because it always makes me go high. I'll only have one if I'm in the 4 or 5s. You can take insulin for it, but you need to be careful because after a few hours of drinking you will start to drop. If you do take insulin for it, test often and have some carbs before bed.