Beer festival

Pearsall85

Hey all going to a beer festival in a bit, I'm undecided whether to take a bit of insulin before hand to try and stop the inevitable spike or deal with it afterwards?

Stu

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I'm not an insulin taker but I can be at 8.5 have a drink (alcoholic ginger beer or red wine and go down to 5.1 with in an hour. I think drinking and being insulin dependant must be a very scary propersition. Stay safe and good luck.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Guess we're all different but generally alcohol will initially raise levels then drop them. I wouldn't take any extra insulin for this reason. May be a better idea just to enjoy the festival but make sure you test prior to going to sleep. That way, you can act accordingly. Either take a few units if very high or a snack if low. Good luck.
Mo

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you don't have insulin and have a load of beer then your BGs will go high. Each pint had around 15g carbs in. I don't drink beer much any more because it always makes me go high. I'll only have one if I'm in the 4 or 5s. You can take insulin for it, but you need to be careful because after a few hours of drinking you will start to drop. If you do take insulin for it, test often and have some carbs before bed.