1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Beer instead of fizzy drinks?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by MikeTurin, Nov 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2016...ght-loss,-us-researchers-report-95362925.html
    Aspartame could prevent weight loss, US researchers report

So drinking fizzy drink with aspartame that is a source of f phenylalanine and the effect on gut flora is a bad thing.
    But now seem so me that instead a Coke Zero, it's better for a diabetic to drink an old fashioned beer.

By the way I really really prefer a lager or a pils instead of a coke as a treat.

The question is what kind of beer is better for a diabetic that is trying to get the carbohydrate intake low?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Real ginger beer?
    I used to make it, fermented all the sugar - used only enough to make it fizzy, then added liquid artificial sweetener once it was in the glass - not the little tablets as they make it foam madly and climb out of the glass and all over the table.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I drink a low carb beer here called XXXX Gold which is a mid strength beer of 3.5%.

The carbs in a 375ml stubby bottle are 7.1 and in a 285ml pot (½ pint) are 6.0.

You might have to state your age as you have to be 18 plus to enter the XXXX site.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. peterjones6000

peterjones6000 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I asked the diabetic nurse if I could have a drink over christmas he said yes but book the ambulance before you drink it

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Deespee23

Deespee23 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the kind that doesn't contain beer. :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. SWUSA_

SWUSA_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Peter perhaps use oldies but goodies should just remember the times we have had and celebrate sober that we live another year to toast with our cranberry juice?

• Like Like x 1
  7. SWUSA_

SWUSA_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Some of the forum members do drink alcoholic drinks sometimes but they are contradicted if you are on Metformin. Alcohol ties up the liver and will change the profile of how you process the other carbs in your diet. DKA is also more likely with alcohol useage and I choose not to drink. Are you on medication for your blood glucose?

8. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've seen beer called "liquid carbs". 'Nuff said...

Robbity

9. Jay-Marc

Jay-Marc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Marston's Resolution. 4.7% alcohol sold in 275ml bottles. Less that 2g carbs per bottle.

Back in the day this was called LowC and it was obvious who it was aimed at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. psignathus

psignathus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have to say 18 months back when I went keto I stopped the beers but about 6 months (not exactly sure of the time span) back I brought beer back into my life. I drink mostly coors lite, at least once a fortnight I go into town and get proper drunk. my blood sugars drop rapidly to around 4mmol (i'm type 2 for the last 10 years) and only start to rise the following day about lunch time to 6mmol max if I do not eat, lower if I have breakfast. I'm on 2 metformin a day and my last 4 hba1c never over 34. Maybe i'm lucky but the fact is I need enjoyment and if the beers can bring a little happiness then i'm in! I now pop in and out of keto as I keep carbs to less than 50g per day until I drink beer. 8 to 12 pints in a session and maybe a few spirits whilst the taxi arrives.

11. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@SWUSA_ There have been a couple of threads about alcohol and Metformin that you might find interesting
    CAROL

12. David_A_Hughes

David_A_Hughes Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Beer and lager I can understand being full of carbs, but what about spirits, especially my tipple of whisky, and their effect on BG?

13. Beagler

Beagler Prediabetes · Active Member

It's not just the carbs, it's the blinking alcohol. It really messes up your liver and your carb metabolism. But I don't know any exact numbers, so go to an alcohol related thread!

14. srm100841

srm100841 · Well-Known Member

I have a 500ml can of ale every night and according to my carb counter manual it equates to 10.1 carbs. I adjust my diet so that I average 48 carbs per day including my ale. So far and after some 6 years or more, my average BG level is just over 5. I was diagnosed T2 in 2002 and went on the low carb diet in 2007 since when I've not exceeded an annual average above 6.7. Cheers!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook