Being a 'bad' diabetic

Jane2206

This is my attempt to get to grips with life with diabetes in spite of 16 years of it !
Was probably type 2 but ended up being treated as type 1 possibly having 15 stone extra weight didn't help !! Have lost 12 of the 15 stone via low GI diet and exercise but in spite of forlorn hope that I might get away from the needles I haven't . After a spectacularly bad 6 months were I thought I'd pack in the insulin altogether BM's of 35+ have persuaded me otherwise ...Now along with novarapid, glargine , metformin I'm about to start a cocktail of those with Byetta thrown in for good measure
I am not a happy content diabetic and wonder whether I will get beyond the resentment not helped by the knowledge I created this with my weight !

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jane.
Welcome to the house of fun. We mix real good advice, tips and facts the medical pro's won't tell you, with some off the wall humour as well !!! We are all Diabetics or know someone who is. There is a wealth of information here for you. Any questions you ask will get answers.

You mustn't despair - we have all been in that position at some time or another. I'm T2 for 11 yrs and have had setbacks but you learn to get through them.

I must say your weight loss using the GI diet is fantastic - well done. There is a thread on here entitled ANYONE USE BYETTA. Take a look at it. There are many success stories on there. A lot of us use a low carb diet as well. Check out the low carb forum. It might help to tweak your diet. I have been on Byetta for two months and lost a stone after converting from a normal so called healthy diet to a low carb, low fat diet. you will find what works best for you.
Good luck with the Byetta and life. :D :D

Ken

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi,

I have a T1 son but I noticed your comment about giving yourself T2 diabetes. I actually know quite a few T2's who have led a healthy life and still developed T2 so I am not completely convinced that it comes about just from a poor lifestyle. I know a lot of unhealthy overweight people who don't have T2. Why does pregnancy trigger gestational diabetes? There must be more to it?

Personally I'd think you'd be now better off just treating yourself as T1 and replace the insulin rather than taking the huge cocktail on offer.

Hope you keep yourself healthy anyway. I need to lose some weight too.

Jen.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Jen's opinion is one way of looking at Jane's problem. My own view as far as a type 2 is concerned is why take insulin when it isn't necessary. With the right diet and right medication a type 2 can achieve very good control without needing to resort to insulin, but the insulin option is still there as a fall-back if all else fails.

I couldn't agree more with the comments about lifestyle. When I was diagnosed with type 2 seven years ago I was very fit, not overweight and no family history of diabetes, so where did it come from? My consultant believes that I am one of the 40% of type 2s whose autoimmune system prevents their pancreas from producing insulin but doesn't damage beta cells.

Jane2206

I may have confused things at nearly 25 stone at my heaviest insulin was the only option to get any control and even then it was poor, there was some hope that if I lost weight my pancreas would pick things up 12 stone less and it evidently isn't going to !! so I originally said I was probably nevet type 1 in the traditional sense !
would like to think eventually I could do ok on byetta and metformin ....but it looks like I have to continue with insulin for the time being as well is there anyone who does byetta/insulin ?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Jane
I noted that you've lost 12 stone on a GI diet. that's just wonderful! You must have great "stickability"
I wonder if you've thought of going the whole distance and trying low carb? Low Gi delays the rate at which carbs are digested and metabolised. Low carb restricts the total intake.
It might well help keep the BG down and could give your magnificent weight loss a boost.
It can't hurt, and costs nothing, so give it a go

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Jane2206 said:
would like to think eventually I could do ok on byetta and metformin ....but it looks like I have to continue with insulin for the time being as well is there anyone who does byetta/insulin ?
Hi Jane,

I have answered your question on the "Ask the Experts" forum.

Jane2206

have struggled with sticking to diet but success generates more will to succeed , looking into low carb diet thankfully have consultant who feels most diabetics have to much carbohydrate in diet !

Trinkwasser

Jane2206 said:
have struggled with sticking to diet but success generates more will to succeed , looking into low carb diet thankfully have consultant who feels most diabetics have to much carbohydrate in diet !

You should encourage him to breed