Being in a hurry can raise BG?

D@n1el

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I've just started my first 36-hour fasting attempt. So I've decided to check my BG out on specific points.

My very first meal of the day had 7g of carbs, I finished it at 2:00 P.M. The second and last meal before fasting had 4.4g of carbs and it ended at 6:00 P.M.

I checked my BG at 7:00 P.M. and it was 87 mg/dL.

Then at 7:30 P.M it was 85 mg/dL.

Apparently, it was falling.

Well, 10 minutes before 8:00 P.M, time for a last check today, I've had a stupid idea. I've decided to use that little time (10 minutes!) to organize the mess on my desk. No physical effort, but some quick walking from one room to the other and, most of all, being in a hurry and anxious to end it all before it was 8:00 P.M. I finish it up at 7:58 P.M and continued being in a hurry to prepare things for today's last BG reading. When it was 8 P.M sharp I've checked my BG and, surprise, it was 98 mg/dL!!!

Is it possible (and is it normal) to have a BG spike mainly because someone is agitated and in a hurry? Or is it simply a bizarre BG curve (4.4g carb meal => 87 mg/dL after 60 min => 85 mg/dL after 90 min => 98 mg/dL after 120 min)?

Thank you very much!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Two points here.
  1. Stress raises blood sugar
  2. Those spikes aren't really significant, specially when compared to the inherent inaccuracies of a blood testing meter.

Reactions: D@n1el

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I totally agree with EllieM that those spikes are insignificant and could simply be variations in the meter.
Home meters simply are not that accurate.

It is very tempting when we start out with our testing and new lifestyle and food choices to put a huge significance on minor fluctuations and changes. But the longer we do this, the more tests we do, and the more results we get, the more we realise that all our readings are a ball park figure, and - for T2s and pre-Ds - it is the trends that are important.

(obviously people using strong blood glucose lowering drugs need to take a much more specific view, esp when dosing insulin)

I would recommend that while you are testing and finding out how things work for you, that you try everything out several times before you make any decisions based on single readings. For example, eat the same breakfast for several days, and test each time. You will find that your readings vary, and other factors such as sleep deprivation, stress levels and exercise will factor in.
Likewise, the same evening meal, in the same portions, may give different test results after an active day, or a sedentary day...

However, as you do this, you will find clear trends emerging, and you will be able to spot those trends and make adjustments that work for you.

Reactions: D@n1el

D@n1el

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Fantastic help, thank you so very much, EllieM and Brunneria!!!