Bemused

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
OK - what did you think the thread was about?

There are so many one word subjects which don't give any clue about the question.

How about "Medication" or "Medication - should I take more Metformin?".
Which gives you a better idea of the question being asked?

Which is why I am more often than not bemused by topic subjects. :rolleyes:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:D

yes some topic headers do need a little more thinking.

( clever trap, btw..;) )

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

There are so many one word subjects which don't give any clue about the question.

Agreed. Also I think threads should be self contained with all the relevant information presented in the original post. It shouldn't be necessary to have prior knowledge of the OP or their previous posts.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree titles should be specific enough to know what your clicking on, and also giving some idea of background in the first post. But sometimes people bring up points that the op didn’t think about, or think relevant to their point/question. Also sometimes people don’t understand quite how individual things are. For example when I started on insulin I thought it was like any other drug, paracetamol is paracetamol doesn’t matter who makes it, dose is pretty set, 2 tablets up to 4 times a day..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think threads should be self contained
titles should be specific enough
I think titles or first post shouldn't be anything, although it would obviously help if they were what you propose.
If we make that a rule, we'd have to remove a lot of posts and lose a lot of members. New members finding their way on the forum, or forums and the internet in general, members who aren't well versed in writing stories with heads and tails, members who aren't used to reading and writing regularly, members for whom it's hard to look from the outside at their post to check what information is there and if it's sufficient, members who had a drink too much at the time of posting, members who are very emotional at the time of posting, or having a hypo, members with learning problems...

The forum is for everyone. Sometimes it takes some questioning and digging to get out the information needed to come up with an answer to their questions. I agree that can be annoying at times. Good thing you're free to ignore posts that don't live up to your standards.
But it's not coincidence that the first of our forum rules speaks of being compassionate, considerate and kind towards others. Shortly thereafter comes Respect others’ differences and All Members are equal.

Please remember people don't write those unclear posts to annoy you, they usually do so because they lack the capacity at that moment to make themselves more clear, for whatever reason.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Antje77 you sound to be the one who is annoyed!

Perhaps there could be a little more active encouragement from the moderators?

Perhaps even the occasional editing of a subject to help the forum grasp the question being asked?
For one thing, if most posts had informative titles it could encourage newbies (and established members) to expand their titles just a little bit.

It is perhaps a hint that there is an issue if some regular posters seem to be in agreement that one word subject lines can be confusing and counter-productive.

Just an idea, but perhaps the forum software could require a minimum of say 3 words in a thread title?
This wouldn't remove the "Totally confused! Help!!" titles for example in Ask A Question but it might encourage people to think a bit more about their titles instead of just using one word.

IMHO something worth discussing.

Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Agreed. Also I think threads should be self contained with all the relevant information presented in the original post. It shouldn't be necessary to have prior knowledge of the OP or their previous posts.

I think it is more ""It would be helpful if.....".

It takes a while to get the hang of posting to a forum like this.

It can be frustrating to have to ask the same questions each time before a helpful answer can be given, but hopefully after the first few posts regular contributors will get the hang of it.

Reactions: HSSS

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In what way would you see active encouragement? Any member can post on any thread to ask for more information, a filling out of a profile or a mention of asking a moderators help. Moderators do so too, occasionally, just like other members.
Perhaps even the occasional editing of a subject to help the forum grasp the question being asked?
No. We don't edit things as long as they are not against the rules, unless we're being asked. Of course it's helpful if you post something like "You may get more response if you changed the subject title to ... If you need help with that, you can tag a moderator" (and if you feel particularly helpful you could explain the tagging as well).
Just an idea, but perhaps the forum software could require a minimum of say 3 words in a thread title?
Moderators aren't in any way involved with the forum software. You can send your proposal to [email protected].

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is more ""It would be helpful if.....".

It takes a while to get the hang of posting to a forum like this.

It can be frustrating to have to ask the same questions each time before a helpful answer can be given, but hopefully after the first few posts regular contributors will get the hang of it.
I think titles or first post shouldn't be anything, although it would obviously help if they were what you propose.
If we make that a rule, we'd have to remove a lot of posts and lose a lot of members. New members finding their way on the forum, or forums and the internet in general, members who aren't well versed in writing stories with heads and tails, members who aren't used to reading and writing regularly, members for whom it's hard to look from the outside at their post to check what information is there and if it's sufficient, members who had a drink too much at the time of posting, members who are very emotional at the time of posting, or having a hypo, members with learning problems...

The forum is for everyone. Sometimes it takes some questioning and digging to get out the information needed to come up with an answer to their questions. I agree that can be annoying at times. Good thing you're free to ignore posts that don't live up to your standards.
But it's not coincidence that the first of our forum rules speaks of being compassionate, considerate and kind towards others. Shortly thereafter comes Respect others’ differences and All Members are equal.

Please remember people don't write those unclear posts to annoy you, they usually do so because they lack the capacity at that moment to make themselves more clear, for whatever reason.
I used the word "should" when I meant "would ideally". I am not suggesting anyone could be censured for not including all the facts just that it would lead to more appropriate responses. I remember a poster being advised to try vigorous walking after meals, it later emerged that she was confined to a wheelchair.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bottom line is that DCUK want to provide and environment where members can interact in a polite and respectful manner, with a focus on support and inclusivity. It feels, to me at least that setting up hurdles to participation, and support would contradict that ethos.

People ask for help in many ways, and their modus operandi can mutate and develop over time. Many of our members arrive here shocked, frightened, irritated, angry and almost as many variations as there are members. They're often not best placed to know what information could be helpful to members looking to support them. How could they? If they knew all that "stuff", they'd probably wouldn't need to be here in the first place

For me, it's more important that we support members and help them to develop into knowledgeable and supporting members themselves, whilst also improving their health outcomes than we have multi-word titles or long and complex opening posts.

Reactions: annie-p
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I thought you were bemused about something, so I looked, read your post and found out you were, simples :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Good post title to get the point across.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used the word "should" when I meant "would ideally".
A big difference and an important one. Had you worded it that way I would have given a completely different reaction. Rather like the woman in the wheelchair would have had, had she worded her question differently.
A perfect illustration of the whole problem, isn't it?

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A big difference and an important one. Had you worded it that way I would have given a completely different reaction. Rather like the woman in the wheelchair would have had, had she worded her question differently.
A perfect illustration of the whole problem, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Or you could even say' Is it not' ? :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77

For one thing, if most posts had informative titles it could encourage newbies (and established members) to expand their titles just a little bit.

It is perhaps a hint that there is an issue if some regular posters seem to be in agreement that one word subject lines can be confusing and counter-productive.

This wouldn't remove the "Totally confused! Help!!" titles for example in Ask A Question but it might encourage people to think a bit more about their titles instead of just using one word.

IMHO something worth discussing.

Interesting response.

The way I see it, sometimes a member might not have the confidence or capacity to use an open forum. Possibly too shy to even consult an HCP. (Of course' we should recommend they do..)
They are reaching out in their own words. For a moderator to change the wording of such a post or topic (unless there is a forum rule breach?) would undermine the self empowerment the member seeks by joining up in the first place.

But hey, I'm one of life's thinkers. This thread may well deter such a person from reaching out...

Which would or could be unfortunate.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a relative newbie I have found it is sometimes hard what to put in the title- sometimes I'm worried about how it comes across sometimes I start but find I have a paragraph for a title so need to shorten it. Other times I have been just too sad/upset to be able to find an appropriate title. For you if you have been around for a while maybe that isn't so hard.

I understand your point but I wouldn't want anyone to feel they could just post without spending too much time on the title. My example was a thread I posted- conflicting advice. It was in the questions section. The thread was about a link to a 'diabetes expert' who was peddling a totally vegan diet and suggested the LCHF diet was bad. I had a very long title and then couldn't get it right. People were very helpful so I'm glad I posted. If I had to describe it clearly I would have possibly not posted.

Reactions: Antje77