Bernstein v DAFNE

Bucco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Low carb and a strict regime or laissez-faire and DAFNE?

Confused? Me? Shuwerly not!

C

catherinecherub

Some posters have great difficulty getting a DAFNE course. If it offered I would take it in your position. Diabetes will be with you forever unless a cure is found.
Bernstein's book will still be around after the course and so what will you lose?

Here is a video from the DAFNE website. http://www.dafneonline.co.uk/main/video from someone who didn't know whether to go for it or not.

AMBrennan

I'd say DAFNE since I have... issues with Dr Bernstein's book such as having been specifically told by my dietician to not follow it's advice and eat a low carb diet.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Using dose adjustment according to carb intake is a tool, it allows you to be in control, to choose the level of carbs you want to use. This could be low or high.
Bernstein gives you a set of constraints and forbids not only starches such as potatoes, rice and pasta but tomatoes (except in small amounts), carrots, legumes, yellow peppers, onions, milk, nuts except in small amounts, sugar alcohols (ie many artificial sugars) Even lower carb veg are limited because the carb counts allowed for a meal are so low.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/bernst ... nfoods.htm

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bucco said:
Low carb and a strict regime or laissez-faire and DAFNE?

Confused? Me? Shuwerly not!

Two totally different things Bucco, the Dafne course doesn't tell you what you should or shouldn't eat and merely shows you how to match your insulin to the food you eat (insulin to carb ratios).

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Bucco,
I agree with Noblehead , Take the DAFNE course and use it to carb-count 8)(or if you can't get on now try BDEC e-learning (free)
http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/home.asp
and take the low carbing and use it to learn how to eat sensibly. 8)
Best of both worlds :D

Bucco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OK - so here's my concern - Berstien talks about 'the law of small numbers'....

I'm only three weeks into being a type 1 and so far my insulin, both basal and bolus (levemir and novorapid) has doubled. I can also see form the data (and I test roughly every hour!) that there is a major discrepancy in ratios across the day and across different foods.....so.... if I want to get my BG into a 'normal' range, then no carbs makes sense to me?

To be able to make any reasonable predictions from the data and work out any ratios that might work I am thinking that I will HAVE to do the whole no carb/low carb diet to make any sense of the insulin adjustments?????

Oh - should say that the docs also think I am coeliac and hyperthyroid too....any one have experience of all three happening simultaneously and which you deal with first? Bit of a ******, diagnosed T1, Ceoliac and Thyroidism all at once.....just sometimes I feel a little sorry for myself!!

By the way - you lot are brilliant - your support, advice - even 'morbid' sense of humour is massively appreciated. I hope as I learn to cope with all that is happening to me that one day I can give back as much as you all do.

kind regards and lots of respect.

xx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Bucco
with 3 conditions all at once, You have such a balancing act I think you need to see a consultant who understands all of them. If such a person exists!
However a Low carb diet, won't cause problems with either the coeliac or the diabetes. What it does in hyperthyroid, I've no idea.
Hana

slimtony

I don't really see why it has to be such a black and white distinction. If you're willing, then you'll learn things from both approaches - how you apply them will be up to you. I certainly wouldn't turn down a DAFNE course just because I'd read Dr. Bernstein's book. Likewise, DAFNE graduates will do well to beg, steal or borrow a copy of Dr. B's Diabetes Solution, if they haven't already done so.