Berries

lindiloo62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello as a new low carber I am eating Greek style yogurt mixed berries and mixed seeds for breakfast. My question is how many berries? Do they have to be fresh or can i use frozen? Thanks

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
We're all different so I'd suggest you start with a few and test then work your way up until you get to an amount that gives you an unacceptable (for you) reading - then go back and stick with an amount that you are okay with.

I can eat about 50g - 60g of raspberries without a spike but more than that - or any other berries - and my BG goes up more than I like. I love strawberries but I can only have one or two.

Nutritionally (I understand) frozen are better than fresh as they are frozen very quickly after being picked whereas fresh can have been hanging around in transit from field to plate for some time. However I find the frozen raspberries turn to mush when they are defrosted. My husband likes them mushy with yoghurt and seeds whereas I like fresh raspberries with no yoghurt.

Reactions: lindiloo62

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If I were starting again I would measure my blood sugar, have around 6-8 raspberries, 6 mid to large strawberries, 6-8 blackberries and maybe a dozen blueberries, with the seeds and yogurt and then measure blood sugars again at 1, 2 and 3 hours to see how my body reacts.

On most days I do at least double the above for breakfast with loads of nuts and for a dessert after dinner. It's about finding what works with your constitution.

D

Deleted Account

Not a direct answer to your question but have you tried Skyr instead of yoghurt.
It has about half the carbs compared to normal yoghurt but has a similar taste and texture to greek yoghurt.
I also learnt recently that it is actually a cheese because it contains (vegetarian) rennet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As said above, you need to experiment with different amounts and test.

I can only have about 6 or 7 fresh raspberries. Frozen ones spike me higher, probably because they have mushed. Or I can have 2 strawberries. Blueberries are the worst for me. I used to have these with a full fat yogurt and milled flaxseed for breakfast every day until I discovered my levels throughout the morning were better without any carbs at all. I now have them with cream rather than yogurt, and later on in the day.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is something you really have to test for yourself, amount, type of fruit, what it is mixed with, eaten first thing or after dinner, and the progress you are seeing in reducing BG levels, all affect how you cope with fruits.
I use frozen as it means there is no temptation to finish off a pack before they go off.
If I accidentally defrost too many I make a sugar free jelly with less than the normal amount of water, let it cool then whisk in the fruit, and sometimes some yoghurt or cream if it is new, not close to the use by date, and it makes a good dessert for several days.
I do try to remember to return the pack to the freezer, but it doesn't always happen.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll generally eat around 50-75g -actual weight - of berries with cream, creme fraiche, or yoghurt (something fatty anyway!) and usually as part of e meal. This way I'll get little or nothing in the way of a spike.

But as already suggested you definitely need to test your own reactions to see what you can manage. While we do have good guidelines, they're not cast in stone, and we each have to find our own specific spikey sweet spots!

Robbity