Best Forum For Diabetics

MYY

New here. I have learned more about diabetes by reading some of the member's posts here than from my own doctors.

hallii

It's a good forum in general.

However, a note of caution, there is from time to time advice that I (IMHO) do not think is quite right.

So always remember this is an open forum, advice is freely given but it may not always be right.

I get things wrong sometimes, (but not often, I am, after all a man :D ) and so can anyone else.

H

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, MYY :)

Welcome to the forum.

Hallii is quite right.
I was very lucky as my GP advised me to look at this site for lots of ideas, but don't get carried away with to much info as everyone is different.

It is a great and friendly forum,

Looking forward to your views in the future.

Roy. :)

jopar

I grant that this does seem to be one of the biggest forums..

But it isn't the best forum at all... IMHO it's far from it.

As to a doctor recommending this site..

If my diabetic team or my GP recommended me to join here... I resign from their care from immediate effect as I would have no faith in them at all....

benedict

Administrator
At risk of sounding like the old Remmington ad, I liked this forum so much I became Editor of the website.

Without the forum and all the people who have over the years contributed to it, I know my control would not in the 5% window that it now is.

Thank you to all who make this forum such a great resource :D

Benedict

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
I'm a member of them all (I think :shock: ) and sometimes I just come here and look... not post. Have to say it is the best one i've used! I love it - it relly has helped me x

PS. jopar - you're just grumpy :wave:

sharonValerie

Hi everyone. The forum is great, whether recommended by doctors or not, what's good about it is you can come and look and see other people going through the same stuff as you, the good and the bad. It makes a difference to know there are others out there like you. reading their comments or even making them makes you realize that we all put up with the same stuff, highs, lows, good days, bad days, the lot. To Jopar if you think this is bad and you would have given up on your doctors if they had is a real same, coz you're missing out on making new friends.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I think forums [fora] with a lot of info from members are a very valuable resource, even if not eveerything on them suits everyone. Jopar
Too many Healthcare professionals warn patients off the internet. We all know that currently in Britain there's a lot of very poor advice coming from HCPs so where should people go for advice on what works for a lot of their fellows?
I personally made it my objectrive to learn as much as I can, so I manage my own delinquent metabolism. Luckily I have a GP who thinks that's OK and doesn't try to overrule me.
Hama

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
jopar said:
I grant that this does seem to be one of the biggest forums..

But it isn't the best forum at all... IMHO it's far from it.

As to a doctor recommending this site..

If my diabetic team or my GP recommended me to join here... I resign from their care from immediate effect as I would have no faith in them at all....
If you have such a downer on this forum, why do you still frequent it?
and why the downer on GPs reccomending patients joining this forum?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Jopar, My GP suggested I only look at this site.
GP's are normal and are allowed to speak what they think which may not be NHS approved.
It was my choice to join the forum.

Thanks to this Forum My health has greatly improved,

On this Forum we are all in the same boat which is trying to improve our control of diabetes and sharing some of our thoughts including some hummer.

Roy, :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jopar:

Perhaps you could expand on your thoughts?

Maybe there are things on here which you feel could be improved. The admin cant change anything if they dont know the problem.

MYY

lucylocket61 said:
Jopar:

Perhaps you could expand on your thoughts?

Maybe there are things on here which you feel could be improved. The admin cant change anything if they dont know the problem.

Agree with you Lucylocket61. :thumbup:

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually my Dr highly recommended this site. I felt so alone and felt I couldn't talk to anyone, but since coming on here I've found my voice/asked some silly questions/got some brilliant anwers and my health has greatly improved :thumbup:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My control has improved since being on here. Surely that's what its all about?

Northerner

I wonder if the doctor recommended this site specifically, or just 'the Diabetes UK' forum? The website address is confusing, as this is not the Diabetes UK website. I'm all for people getting support from whatever quarter they prefer, but I suspect many of the people join this forum in the mistaken belief it is the forum for the charity.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Northerner,

My Doctor wrote down this site for me to look at.

Roy. :)

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This forum has been hugely informative for me. I dread to think how long I'd have stumbled along for without it. Dx in Sept I have got my BG readings down to consistently below 6 and that is almost entirely because of the benefit of experience here. I log on every day and am grateful for the company of everyone.

The Duchess

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
This is a forum just like any other where anyone with any viewpoint can pretty much post what they like so I think I see where Jopar is coming from. There is some very good solid information and advice on this forum but there are also some posters whos advice I personally would take with a very large pinch of salt (pun intended).

As with all public forums it is wise to exercise some caution when reading posts and just realise that whilst information is almost always given with the best intentions it is not always correct and some may say that black is white and supply impressive looking evidence to back up their views but that doesnt always mean those views are correct.

So it is worth remembering that health care professionals are not always wrong and internet gurus are not always correct despite what some may post on the forum.

This forum certainly helped me and I'm sure it has helped many others and I hope it will continue to help many more.