Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hi All.

Quick question. I have seen other threads but wanted to know what is the best meter to buy for accuracy? I don't want anything too expensive to run but something better than the one I have.

Reactions: Divia
D

Deleted Account

All meters available in the UK must comply with the same standard of accuracy.
If you are funding your own meter, the key feature to consider is the cost of the test strips.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My feeling is you get what you pay for. I used to use the meter with the cheapest strips on the market, but as I understood my diabetes more and more I realised that although it probably complied with the correct standards of accuracy it threw off unexpected readings too often for my liking. So I changed to a more expensive meter, but at that point I reduced the frequency of testing, so ended up spending the same amount on strips. I rarely feel the need to double check a reading now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All.

Quick question. I have seen other threads but wanted to know what is the best meter to buy for accuracy? I don't want anything too expensive to run but something better than the one I have.

I understand from your previous thread you want to change because your finger pricks are consistently lower than your HbA1c. There are many reasons why this happens - you are by no means the only one on this forum. I am one of them, too. The HbA1c has many flaws, one of which is you have to have average standard red blood cells that live for an average standard time of about 120 days. Longer than this and your HbA1c will be elevated. Shorter than this and it will be falsely low. As we have no idea how long our own RBCs live, and no way of finding out, we are stuck in a one size fits all scenario. I have had to accept several years worth of HbA1cs that are higher than expected. I understand how annoying it is, but now I just look on that test as something to keep my nurse happy. My finger pricks, a home A1c and an occasional Libre keep me happy.

For clarity, I use an Accu Chek Mobile, which I find excellent although with expensive cassette strips. (half price on eBay)

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I understand from your previous thread you want to change because your finger pricks are consistently lower than your HbA1c. There are many reasons why this happens - you are by no means the only one on this forum. I am one of them, too. The HbA1c has many flaws, one of which is you have to have average standard red blood cells that live for an average standard time of about 120 days. Longer than this and your HbA1c will be elevated. Shorter than this and it will be falsely low. As we have no idea how long our own RBCs live, and no way of finding out, we are stuck in a one size fits all scenario. I have had to accept several years worth of HbA1cs that are higher than expected. I understand how annoying it is, but now I just look on that test as something to keep my nurse happy. My finger pricks, a home A1c and an occasional Libre keep me happy.

For clarity, I use an Accu Chek Mobile, which I find excellent although with expensive cassette strips. (half price on eBay)

Thanks. I just think a slightly more advanced one might be better.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
My feeling is you get what you pay for. I used to use the meter with the cheapest strips on the market, but as I understood my diabetes more and more I realised that although it probably complied with the correct standards of accuracy it threw off unexpected readings too often for my liking. So I changed to a more expensive meter, but at that point I reduced the frequency of testing, so ended up spending the same amount on strips. I rarely feel the need to double check a reading now.

Yes I agree with you completely. I am not convinced by the code free. I don't pretend to be an expert but I am not happy with it. Which one do you use?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi All.

Freestyle lite glucometer is one of the most accurate on the market."https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3570840/figure/fig02/"

I had a terrible time with the Nexus RS glucometer when I was first diagnosed. The variability of this machine was plus or minus two compared to my blood test readings taken at the same time. I found the above study and chose the Freestyle lite as its variability was the smallest. When I have a blood test, I always check and my machine matches the result.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I agree with you completely. I am not convinced by the code free. I don't pretend to be an expert but I am not happy with it. Which one do you use?
I now use the Caresens Dual (has the advantage of testing blood ketones too) which I got when they were providing them free. It’s from Spirit Health, who also do the Tee 2 which is cheaper to run than mine but a lot of people have changed to and seem happy with.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Codefree. The one I was advised to get when I first joined. But I am not convinced of its readings.
I found mine got more outlandish especially with a certain batch of strips so changed to the Tee2 .
I have been running the 2 meters parallel for about 4 months now.. and the results are usually 1 mmol/l different with the Codefree higher. The Tee2 aligns much better with my HbA1c levels so for me it seems more "accurate" and whilst more expensive than the Codefree the strips at £7.75 for 50 aren't horrendously expensive.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I found mine got more outlandish especially with a certain batch of strips so changed to the Tee2 .
I have been running the 2 meters parallel for about 4 months now.. and the results are usually 1 mmol/l different with the Codefree higher. The Tee2 aligns much better with my HbA1c levels so for me it seems more "accurate" and whilst more expensive than the Codefree the strips at £7.75 for 50 aren't horrendously expensive.

Thank you. I will look at that.

D

Deleted member 308541

I still swear by my Abbot Freedom Lite as it is a lot more accurate than the new Contour Next One I have also.

The Freedom Lite has checked out with the pathology shop test result, as well at the pharmacy I go to. The strips may be expensive but they are never out of their use by date, bad batches, etc..

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the Tee2 plus and although I haven't anything to compare it with as I'm only just over 3 months into my diabetic journey but it seems quite good to me and the test strips are reasonably priced. The customer service is good too at spirit healthcare where you get the Tee2 from

Reactions: Major Buckmaster

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I met the Tee2 rep during DAFNE, she tried to convince me to try their meter because it tests both BG and ketones which freestyle libre does, and their test strips are cheaper than the freestyle libre meter. However I don't know if the Tee2 is chargeable or battery powered, freestyle libre you can charge with a cable. probably won't be an issue, but i'm tired of looking for batteries for my other meters, I prefer freestyle because well you can charge it by your pc. :hilarious:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I met the Tee2 rep during DAFNE, she tried to convince me to try their meter because it tests both BG and ketones which freestyle libre does, and their test strips are cheaper than the freestyle libre meter. However I don't know if the Tee2 is chargeable or battery powered, freestyle libre you can charge with a cable. probably won't be an issue, but i'm tired of looking for batteries for my other meters, I prefer freestyle because well you can charge it by your pc. :hilarious:
I don’t think the Tee 2 tests ketones, does it @bulkbiker ? I have the Caresens Dual another meter from Spirit Health that does, maybe the rep was getting her Company’s products mixed up?