1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Best powder drink and energy bars?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by GaryTutton1, Jun 22, 2019.

1. GaryTutton1

GaryTutton1 · Newbie

I'm training for a 100k road ride and want to buy suppliments to keep my blood sugar stable. Any suggestions?

2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum. It would help the members give appropriate advice if you tell us what type of diabetes you have and any meds you take. You can also put this info in your profile.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Elizabeth Barlett

Elizabeth Barlett Type 2 · Member

I know that people with type 2 diabetes can mix protein powder with milk and add a piece of fruit for a healthful snack. Also for optimal performance, you can take caffeine pills about 60 minutes before a training. Check vivarin caffeine pills reviews, to be sure that fits for you

4. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Depends on if you are fuelled by carbohydrates or ketones, frankly.

Ketones you are heavy on the proteins and fats, with isotonic drinks (without sugar) to maintain your salt balance.

I can do around 55 miles/88k on coffee+double cream+salted butter.
    As far as I know I am burning ketones which the liver produces from fats.
    So the energy store is more or less bottomless, unlike carbohydrates.

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook