Best way of informing DVLA of neuropathy problem

richald

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a 66 year old with T2 (controlled with tablets) and worsening peripheral neuropathy of the feet,
I am getting unhappy about being able to drive safely.

I already have a car with an automatic gearbox. I need to be able to drive since I am single & live on my own,
in a small village with poor public transport links - I need a car to go shopping, doctors etc.

I will be contacting a local company to sort out fitting of hand controls for brake and accelerator

I want to sort out informing DVLA - should I talk to my doctor first?

What is the procedure for informing DVLA and are they likely to revoke my licence at all (albeit only for a period)?

I have to renew my driving licence anyway in March 2016.

What I would like to to do is to have everything in place so that when I contact the DVLA I will be able to do so
without losing the use of my car for any period.

Has anybody any experiences or advice?

RWA

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am a 66 year old with T2 (controlled with tablets) and worsening peripheral neuropathy of the feet,
I am getting unhappy about being able to drive safely.

I already have a car with an automatic gearbox. I need to be able to drive since I am single & live on my own,
in a small village with poor public transport links - I need a car to go shopping, doctors etc.

I will be contacting a local company to sort out fitting of hand controls for brake and accelerator

I want to sort out informing DVLA - should I talk to my doctor first?

What is the procedure for informing DVLA and are they likely to revoke my licence at all (albeit only for a period)?

I have to renew my driving licence anyway in March 2016.

What I would like to to do is to have everything in place so that when I contact the DVLA I will be able to do so
without losing the use of my car for any period.

Has anybody any experiences or advice?

RWA

You are supposed to tell DVLA if your condition worsens.....
https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions/telling-dvla-about-a-medical-condition-or-disability

They don't normally revoke your license until after they've contacted your doctor and he's stated that you're unfit to drive.

richald

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are supposed to tell DVLA if your condition worsens.....
https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions/telling-dvla-about-a-medical-condition-or-disability

They don't normally revoke your license until after they've contacted your doctor and he's stated that you're unfit to drive.

Thanks for that urbanracer - the link you posted allowed me to find the correct form - I hadn't located it even with extended googling!

I shall be contacting the DVLA and talking to my Doctor.

RWA