Type 1 Best way to drink alcohol

Nadia19

Hi everyone I’ve got a night out tonight and a bit nervous about drinking. How do yous all do it ?

Mini Dachs Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually drink soda lime and bitters or soda water or occasionally a hard seltzer, but as I don’t usually drink alcohol I’m comfortable with not drinking and are quite happy to be the sober driver.

Reactions: Nadia19

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to make sure I have a snack afterwards (about 10 carbs worth for me) and not take any insulin for it
But it was trial and error to come to that conclusion, some may not need it, some may need more etc

Reactions: Nadia19

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only ever drink alcohol at home, where I can choose to do so or choose not to without anybody getting on my case and trying to tell me otherwise. I like an easy life! When out I drink sparkling mineral water.

Reactions: ianf0ster

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ok so if it's definitely going to be a big night then ensure you check your BG levels at least every hour, try and drink some water in between, make sure the people you are with know how to treat a hypo and what the signs of a hypo are so have a good buddy on your side who can keep an eye on you, aim to keep your levels above 6. Try to avoid sugary drinks and cocktails, they will send you high, slimline tonic and gin/vodka is best.

Also hypos can hit after drinking so finishing the evening with a snack/bag of chips etc is a good idea, for the sake of one night being high is better than being low.

Also perhaps just have a think about if it's worth drinking alcohol, particularly in moderation, the stress of checking levels and fear of going low is enough to put most off as it's not worth it, also good to be in control if you do need to sort yourself out, alot harder to manage when under the influence, whatever your decision hope you have a great night out.

Nadia19

Ok so if it's definitely going to be a big night then ensure you check your BG levels at least every hour, try and drink some water in between, make sure the people you are with know how to treat a hypo and what the signs of a hypo are so have a good buddy on your side who can keep an eye on you, aim to keep your levels above 6. Try to avoid sugary drinks and cocktails, they will send you high, slimline tonic and gin/vodka is best.

Also hypos can hit after drinking so finishing the evening with a snack/bag of chips etc is a good idea, for the sake of one night being high is better than being low.

Also perhaps just have a think about if it's worth drinking alcohol, particularly in moderation, the stress of checking levels and fear of going low is enough to put most off as it's not worth it, also good to be in control if you do need to sort yourself out, alot harder to manage when under the influence, whatever your decision hope you have a great night out.

Thanks everyone , I was just the driver lol, still had a great night :)