Best Way To Keep Libre Sensors On?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You lot seem to put in so much unnecessary effort. I use the swab thingy from the box and insert it and that's it, never had one fall off or get caught in anything or whatever. Never understood why people have kits with loads of stuff either, I bring my reader and a flexpen if I expect to be out for long enough to potentially need it and that's it. Laziness is a virtue. ;)
I don’t carry much. Scanner, and a pencil case with pen, needles, blood strips and fingerpricker, and a pack of dextrose tablets. I’ve been caught out without the basics before, so I carry at least those. Although if I’m just nipping to the shop it’s just my phone and dextrose!

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I don’t carry much. Scanner, and a pencil case with pen, needles, blood strips and fingerpricker, and a pack of dextrose tablets. I’ve been caught out without the basics before, so I carry at least those. Although if I’m just nipping to the shop it’s just my phone and dextrose!
"I don't carry much" and proceeds to name 6 things. ;) I dread to think what the more advanced stuff is if that's the basics in your mind.

Reactions: buckmr2

SallyEzra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always use the Skin Tac wipes before after using the alcohol wipe that comes with the Libre sensor. A couple of years back when I started using the Libre, the first 3 sensors all fell off after a maximum of 4 days - very annoying!. I found that after a particularly tough session at the gym, so involving perspiration & a shower, that the adhesion of the sensor was compromised. So when Abbott then advised the Skin Tac wipes, I was keen to give it a go to see if it improved the situation with the final of the last 4 initial sensors I had purchased. It worked perfectly & was stuck firmly on my arm for 2 weeks.

Very envious of those of you who have found no need for additional adhesion to keep the sensor attached, but equally please to have found a solution to make the Libre work for me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You lot seem to put in so much unnecessary effort. I use the swab thingy from the box and insert it and that's it, never had one fall off or get caught in anything or whatever.

In reptrospect i feel I was fortunate with the first olot of snesors i bought during 2016, they were reliably sticky. Hoerver the one i bought over the early months of 2017 were completely unreliable in this respect. So IMO l it's hardly UNneccesary effort when every single blasted one plus replacements fail to stay attached even short term. It's both extremely stressful - and extrmely expensive when you have to self fund - even if Abbott are sending (equally unrelable) free replacements. Do you think people actually go through all this rigmarole just for the fun of it?? :banghead:

Robbity

Reactions: Lar oli mu

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
I shave the application area ,shower and then use the excellent cleaning swabs that come with the sensor then allow to dry. Never had one come off and have always have to be "prised" off in the shower under warm running water to remove.
Perhaps one reason if users find they're coming off could be if they haven't been applied to prepared area correctly?
Trying current sensor in a higher risk area of being dislodged on top of my forearm (so it's near enough to my imminently due NFC smartwatch to get CGM readings) but it's still there like a limpet.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm mr clumsy and haven't lost one yet, that's up and down ladders cleaning windows, swimming, gymming, cycling and lifting an old lady up who nipped :), tegaderm for me and when it peels after a week I can peel it off and put a new patch on.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most chemists sell Molnlycke Mepore 7 by 8 cm plasters for about 20p. They're not the classiest looking thing on the planet, but I always pop one on top because it smooths out the edges and makes it less likely to snag.
@Scott-C I think I have tracked some of these down in a Boots, but they only have the non-waterproof kind. Which do you recommend?