BG and BP

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Simple and possible stupid question. Please don't anyone say there are no silly questions.
Is there any real evidence of a link between BG and BP?
Thanks

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My understanding is that they are linked but not in a simple direct way.

A high blood glucose is linked with high blood pressure

Controlling blood glucose better, can reduce blood pressure

However you may control blood glucose and still have high blood pressure.

I had both, i reduced my BG levels and my blood pressure dropped into normal quickly, however i did also loose allot of weight so it could have been one or both of these.

Lots of other things cause high BP, but as i understand it there is a clear link between high BG and High BP.

**** note just realized you have asked for real evidence i have have waffled pointlessly lol - im not gonna delete because i have already typed it out!

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

I had both, i reduced my BG levels and my blood pressure dropped into normal quickly, however i did also loose allot of weight so it could have been one or both of these.

Lots of other things cause high BP, but as i understand it there is a clear link between high BG and High BP.

**** note just realized you have asked for real evidence i have have waffled pointlessly lol - im not gonna delete because i have already typed it out!
Thanks for the input, much appreciated

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
As the article that Diakat provided says, they may have common causes, but are not significantly linked in the causational sense.

If you reduce visceral fat, to revers T2D, then your BP is also likely to improve, but only because you lost weight - not because you reversed your T2D

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_syndrome
It is a thing. Gerard Reven identified it in the late 70s and it is now known as hyperinsulinemia.
Theoretically the link is excess insulin which can result tin type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. In the former the body makes excess insulin to deal with excess carbohydrates which can no longer be converted to fat therefore causing blood glucose to rise. In the latter case eating too much carbs also causes the body to hold onto more water than that needed for fat or protein hence high blood pressure.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am almost on the same page with you except that high blood pressure was on for 18 years before t2 came on board in the year 2012. Before then I use to hear people say both high blood pressure and diabetes are twin brothers.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather