Bg Creeping Up

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all. I am not sure what is going on. My BG is creeping up and I don't know why. My fasting is back up to the low 7's and during the day I can't seem to get it even in to the 5's. I eat less than 20 grams carb per day, weight loss is pretty much stalled again, I get enough fat and I am not eating excessive calories or protein. Metformin upped to 1500mg and still on forxiga. The only thing I have changed is I have stopped a 2 liter a day diet coke habit. I had read that even though it does not affect BG it causes an insulin release. I had an extremely high c-peptide and thought that cutting out the diet coke might help reduce my insulin to normal levels and help reduce insulin resistance. I have gone from being mostly in the 5's with a few 4's to always in the 6's and a few 7's.

The other thing I have going on is my thyroid gland has suddenly become very noticeably swollen. I have been to the doctor and am waiting for an ultrasound. I have a multinodular goiter that was biopsied 3 years ago, declared benign, and not bothered me since.

Any thoughts? I know no one can give medical advice, just wanting your thoughts. I am worried and not sure what to do.
Thank you.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other thing I have going on is my thyroid gland has suddenly become very noticeably swollen. I have been to the doctor and am waiting for an ultrasound. I have a multinodular goiter that was biopsied 3 years ago, declared benign, and not bothered me since.

Any thoughts?

Back to the doc to check on your thyroid. Diabetes and hypothyroidism (at least) can be intertwined. Since something is going on with your thyroid - and your BG is creeping up - I'd start there.

Reactions: 3 people

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I have stopped a 2 liter a day diet coke habit.

I doff my cap to you for doing this. I am a Pepsi Max addict and have substituted every other one with fizzy water. So addicted to it.

I hope you get the answers you are seeking, it does sound like a nightmare for you.

Reactions: 3 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you. I am finding this frustrating. I am waiting for an ultrasound on my thyroid and will probably have to have another biopsy.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. I am not sure what is going on. My BG is creeping up and I don't know why. My fasting is back up to the low 7's and during the day I can't seem to get it even in to the 5's. I eat less than 20 grams carb per day, weight loss is pretty much stalled again, I get enough fat and I am not eating excessive calories or protein. Metformin upped to 1500mg and still on forxiga. The only thing I have changed is I have stopped a 2 liter a day diet coke habit. I had read that even though it does not affect BG it causes an insulin release. I had an extremely high c-peptide and thought that cutting out the diet coke might help reduce my insulin to normal levels and help reduce insulin resistance. I have gone from being mostly in the 5's with a few 4's to always in the 6's and a few 7's.

Any thoughts? I know no one can give medical advice, just wanting your thoughts. I am worried and not sure what to do.
Thank you.
Not sure if this will help you, but I recently had a similar thing happen to me. I had a gradual rise, mainly in the daytime pre meal reading, and it too crept up onto the 7's. No obvious changes causing it from what I could see (LCHF ok).

I initially knocked it on the head by adding a herbal supplement to my morning meds, and this drove my bgl low again in the day. So much so that I was having to take extra carbs to enable me to meet DVLA guidelines for driving.
This was counter productive, so I started to drop one of my Gliclazide tabs from the morning meds. That pushed my bgl back up, but I still got my post prandials dropping too low for comfort. so I replaced my evening Glic dose with a second herbal cap, and that had some effect, but now I was still higher on my pre meal than I had been before I started messing around
Then I had a break through.. Since my daytime levels always seemed elevated, but post prandials were ok, I now tried altering the timings of my meds completely. I moved my morning glic tab + herbal supplement out to midday, leaving my Metformin unchanged at breakfast. This had the required effect, and now all 4 daily readings are coming in in the 4 to 4.4 range repeatedly. I have now dropped both evening Glic tabs completely.

I am still monitoring to see if there is still a long term drift, but so far I have had a week of good levels. All I can think of is that I take a heart medication in the morning that is known to interfere with other meds, and I think this is preventing the diabetes meds from working properly in the daytime, but shifting those to midday has evened things up nicely. The suspected med is called Omeprazole, which protects my stomach from long term anti coagulant meds.

We are all on different journeys, so my experience may not be relevant for you, but may help others reading this thread. You do need to get your thyroid investigated properly For me, re-timing my meds has had a good effect, and is something I have done in times previous also with good effect. I am also lucky in that I have found a supplement that also works for me, and which has reduced one of my meds by 75%

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The same thing happened to me in February. All my fasting and pre-meal levels increased despite no change whatsoever in diet or lifestyle. My post meal levels were impacted slightly by this but not by as much. The actual rises didn't increase and were often lower. What happened was I was higher but flatter. I was eating around 30g carbs and my BMI was 21, so no weight issues. I blamed everything in sight because I knew it wasn't the food I was eating, I had no other health or sleep issues, illness, infections or anything else. Then I read about physiological insulin resistance, which is not the same as diabetic insulin resistance, and that seemed to answer many of my concerns.

Have a Google about it, there are plenty of articles and blogs and something may ring a bell.

PS. After a month or two it went back to normal of its own accord.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you doing any intermittent fasting, @chalup? Whenever I find my fasting level creeping up these days, I increase my compressed eating window and/or decrease the number of meals for a few days. Usually works well for me.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could i ask the name of your herbal cap?
It is Gymnema Sylvestre, which is an ancient Indian remedy, It is regarded as being quack medicine by many, so please do your own research before considering using it I have found it works for me, and I am posting my personal journey in using it on a thread under Alternative medicines/ That thread is not up to date yet, and the info I posted above has not yet been entered onto it, I am still evaluating my current position and need to take some more data points before I update it with my findings. There has been much change this last month, so I need to let things settle down a bit first.

I ought to point out in this thread that I have seen others posting about a rising bgl when on LCHF diet, and that there are others who find that adding Intermittent fasting is also a possible (and cheaper) solution. Slow weight gain may also be a factor to consider. I used the supplement since I happened to have a bottle hanging around from a previous trial that fell apart for other reasons (Christmas !!!)

Reactions: 2 people

ameeno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just wondering if stress could be raising your bg readings, thinking about waiting for scans and tests.
My numbers were in the low 6,s but I can't seem to get below mid 7's for the last few days and like you I'm not eating anything different. But I am going for a stress/echo today and while I have been putting it to the back of my mind the idea of me running on a treadmill is not something anyone should see ( still in the walking phase of exercise!!!) and as for getting half naked, lets not go there!!!! .I've joked about it which I think we all use as a coping method .(By the way I also have hashimotos, was diagnosed 6 years ago and a nodule was found, while living abroad, it was always something I worried about as they said I needed a yearly scan. I was scanned when I got home and told my thyroid is heterogeneous and it's not a problem) By the way I'm not saying it is stress, I'm new to all this but can relate to your thyroid issues. Sometimes feels like if it's not one thing it's another and all I want to do is get on with feeling normal!!! if ever I was.
Sorry can't help on how to get rid of underlying stress, good luck with your scan and readings.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes you do need to discuss all this with GP. As your c-peptide was high it implies your body is unable to use insulin properly. Normally this would be thru insulin resistance with excess weight but it looks like your problems may be different?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you doing any intermittent fasting, @chalup? Whenever I find my fasting level creeping up these days, I increase my compressed eating window and/or decrease the number of meals for a few days. Usually works well for me.

I tried intermittent fasting but for me it makes it worse. I have no problem skipping breakfast, I actually have never been a breakfast eater but my BS will just keep rising until I eat something. I can't skip dinner because I will not sleep if I am hungry, I have tried this too and I just end up having to get up and eat something because I start to feel sick. Even during the day if I go too long without eating my liver starts up.