FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
Hi,
I’m a bit concerned about my recent bg readings.
I had diabetes before but it went away by itself for a few years. I started to get some symptoms again so started testing myself. My bg readings have been between 13 & 19.4 for the last few months, mostly fasting readings and a few 2 hours after meals. So went to Dr, and my hba1c was 48. I’ve been checked irregularly over the last few years as I’ve been worried about rising bg for a while and hba1c has always been normal. I had 23.4 yesterday and that freaked me a bit.
As hba1c is normal the dr won’t pursue any treatments or investigations.
I’m a bit worried that I’m going to have future problems with continuing high bg, but should I be worried? Should I ask the dr to do anything else? Any suggestions what’s going on?
I sometimes have irregularities with low thyroid function but there’s never been anything that they would treat and it goes away too,could it be connected?

Thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As hba1c is normal
I wouldn't describe that as normal, it's in the diabetic range, so your doctor should keep monitoring you.
If you've been having blood sugar readings that high for a few months, then I'd expect your hba1c to be higher. It's possible that you have one of the many conditions that artificially raise or lower your hba1c.

Are you able to get some ketone testing strips? (The chemist should sell ones you can use to test your urine.) If your rise in blood sugars is sudden there is a chance that you may be developing T1/LADA, which is slow onset T1 diabetes. In this case you will gradually produce less and less insulin, and if your ketones go high together with your blood sugar levels, you are at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis, which requires a trip to the hospital before it kills you.

Could you see another doctor? Whether T2 or LADA, you can probably bring those levels down by reducing your carbohydrate intake (if LADA that will only help for a while), but in the medium to long term you need a proper diagnosis (Your doctor may hope to delay till after the coronavirus issue has become clearer.) But if that reading over 20 continues, you should ring 111 and test for ketones. (Test for ketones anyway.)

Good luck.

ps GAD and c-peptide tests would indicate whether you are T1/LADA (important because you need treatment now).

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just as a note - everything said above applies. But first i would also look at getting a new meter and some new strips. There is a chance the meter is just giving you bogus readings.

If your BGL is in the high 20's you should be "going to the loo like a race horse" and have a HBA1C much higher then your getting.

The meters can go out of calibration over time and test strips past use by dates are useless.

Not saying it is this, but worth covering this off for the £10 or what ever a meter will cost on amazon