BG Meters - which is best?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
As I haven't got one yet, but will obviously need toget one very soon, can any of you recommend one to me?

I appreciate there must be loads of them out there and I suspect I could get one for free, but my maxim in life is "get it right first time" so I don't mind paying for a quality machine I can rely on for the forseeable future without chopping and changing all the time.

Although not confirmed by my GP yet, he thinks I'm T2 and until I'm diagnosed I guess I won't know what he suggests I treat it with either (diet only, pills, etc).

As a typical "gadget man" I'm tempted to go for one of these from the outset:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12042

Thanks,

Jim

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks SS.

Does anyone know if Which? magazine have done a meter comparison recently and if so, which one was their "best buy"?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This was their comparison a while ago.Sorry the pics won't show up on here.

Blood sugar and pressure kits: Blood sugar monitors

Accu-Chek Aviva
£15.26
This meter requires a small amount of blood and delivers results quickly.
It has a drum with six lancets, which you rotate to get a new lancet, but loading could be easier.
It has a hypo alarm if your blood glucose appears low and a memory that can store 500 readings. This is a simple model with a large display.

Ascensia breeze
£9.99
An auto disc system on this monitor means no coding is required (See 'Diabetes' for tips on measuring blood glucose) and you don't load individual test strips. You place a disc with ten test strips in the back and pull a handle to release a strip.
This model requires the most blood - between 2.5 and 3.5 microlitres - and takes the longest to give results. It stores 100 readings.
Handy to carry, though bulky, this could be good for those who don't like coding.

Boots blood glucose monitoring system
£11.74
This simple model has just one big button and a large, clear display. Results are fast and it can store 450 readings.
While the instructions have large text, it's hard to find advice on using the lancet. And amounts of blood needed aren't specified but shown in a picture.
Experts found the lancing device easy to use but removing the lancet was tricky. This is good for those who dislike gadgets.

Freestyle mini
£15.26
This compact portable model required the smallest blood sample of all, 0.3 microlitres.
It offers results quickly and it has a night light. It can store 250 results but has few extra features.
Small buttons and screen mean this could suit a younger user or those on the go.

Lifescan onetouch ultrasmart
£23.49
The ultra-modern UltraSmart has many features.
You can record several things, including insulin and oral medication taken, food intake and details of exercise. You can view data as graphs on the monitor or on a computer. But this makes for dense instructions and many buttons.
There's a handy button to help remove the lancet without touching it. Results are quick and this could suit those wanting to closely monitor their condition.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks again SS, but which meter was the "best buy" in their opinion?

I quite like the description of the Freestyle mini. I'm not suggesting I'm a young person, but I am on the go a lot. :wink:

Also, If I start using the excellent "mylifestyle" feature I've just discovered and registered for on your website, am I right in saying I could them enter all the meter readings into it and thereby keep an online record from now on? In effect the combination of the two could be just as comprehensive, if not more so than your Lifescan onetouch ultrasmart.

Or am I missing something?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jim.
We do not have anything other than the information posted regarding the meters and it was some time ago.

Neither I or Sue have ever used the Lifestyle feature so we have no comment to make about it. It is on the Community Pages which is totally separate from the Forum.

I too use a Lifescan UltraSmart meter, however you have to jump through hoops to get one as they are usually for Insulin users only. This machine is like the Rolls Royce of meters and I wouldn't change it for any other. I don't think you can purchase them anymore and that you can only get one from Lifescan via a phone call to them. I may be wrong though ?

You need to go to a large branch of Boots and look at the meters and see if they fit your hand, pocket, etc. They are all different in looks and sizes, specifications. Make sure that the test strips will be available to you on prescription before purchasing any meter. Not all are provided on the NHS.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Good advice cugila, thanks again.

I'll make sure to add the strips question to my growing list of questions for my GP next Thursday.

Fujifilm

I also have the Lifescan UltraSmart meter and an ultraeasy for when I don't want to carry the ultrasmart, both use the same strips.

If you goto the Lifescan website you can apply for a free meter if you are on Insulin :wink: I know you are not, but if you were :wink: :D

I actually got them to send me the ultrasmart and an ultraeasy at the same time.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've been using the Freestyle Freedom Lite for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed.

Comes in a neat little zippable carry case, requires a minimum droplet of blood to get a reading and absolutely NO need to press ANY buttons. You simple insert the strip, the screen lights up, apply the droplet of blood to the end of the strip and hey presto, the reading appears. Remove the strip and the screen switches off again.

So easy even I can use it. 8)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I have been giving the Bayer Contour Meter a test run for the past two weeks and can say it is the most easiest I have ever used. It also requires a minimal amount of blood so the lancet barely needs to penetrate the skin. For me the best part was the plug-and-play easiness built into it. Absolutely no coding required whatsoever and it is so quick it hardly takes any time to do a test.

Bayer run a support website where the new meter can be registered, and there after, new batteries, test result books etc can be ordered all free of charge

I got mine free of charge through an advert on the Diabetes UK website but with something this easy, I would have gladly paid for it .. my marks awarded? 10 out of 10

From time to time Bayer have free offres on their Contour Meter site
http://www.bayerdiabetes.co.uk/winameter/index.aspx?id=GOO3&gclid=CJPe_tq70Z8CFUIA4wodR2mDsQ

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Folks,

the key question which I can not see answered to date......

For those of us who pay for our test strips, which is the testing device for which the cheapest strips are readily available. Personally I use the ACCU Chek Aviva NANO and the strips are killing me!!!

Steve.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
PS
I have won a few competitions and been advised that my new tester is on its way....

......I am still waiting!!

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Bluenosesol said:
Folks,

For those of us who pay for our test strips, which is the testing device for which the cheapest strips are readily available. Personally I use the ACCU Chek Aviva NANO and the strips are killing me!!!

Steve.

Why do you pay for your test strips? If you are refused an NHS script by your GP, your GP and PCT are not observing their duty of care towards you!

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Hobs,

the basic rule applied across most PCT's, is that if you are not insulin dependant, then you dont need to test, hence they wont prescribe strips for meds or diet only diabetics :-(

Steve

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Bluenosesol said:
Folks,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I am fortunate enough to have a nurse who has prescribed strips for me, although only seen her once so as yet do not know what my "limit" per month or per prescription will be. :shock:

I use the Freestyle Freedom Lite, which the nurse gave me for free and it's a doddle to use and convenient to carry around in a zippable little pouch. I just had a look on ebay and you can buy boxes of 50 strips for under £15. :D

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ardberg,

I am currently unemployed and use about 50 strips per week, so at that rate cost would be £60 per month.....it just aint gonna happen :(

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Ah.. ok. Sorry about that. I just assumed you were taking some kind of meds to control the condition. I was refused at first even being on 1 x metformin 500 daily to start with, but I challenged my GP quoting his 'duty of care' and I got a script the day after he received my recorded delivery letter.
I am sure 'diet only' must need some kind of 'medical care' and if it was me, I would still challenge both using their 'duty of care' route, and also involve my MP and the human rights route.

Good luck and don't give up until every door has been knocked on.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
That's a good price Chris.

I use that one too and find it is ideal. Very compact and easy to use.

Did your come with any test strips or did you have to buy them seperately?