BG rise post 0 carbs meal

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it normal for bg to rise even after a meal containing virtually zero carbs? This evening I tested 5.7 before eating and 6.9 c.1 hour after.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html

Also, protein takes a long time to convert to glucose - more often than not the next day. The liver may dump (at any time the hormones tell it too, especially in the absence of carbs, but it isn't gluconeogenisis. It is glucose in the liver, made from protein and stored, and not "freshly made"
Whichever the mechanism it happens quickly for me. I can't eat protein with out seeing a rise as if it were carbs.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe it's different for type 1? I REQUIRE insulin for half my protein bolused ahead just like any other meal and if there's no or little fat the protein is more pronoun ed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it's different for type 1? I REQUIRE insulin for half my protein bolused ahead just like any other meal and if there's no or little fat the protein is more pronoun ed

It is the word Gluconeogenesis that you got wrong. That is something else. The liver dump is glycogenolysis - breaking down liver glycogen into individual glucose molecules and releasing them into the bloodstream.
Have a read of that link I gave you under the heading "Protein takes time to digest" about a third of the way down. It explains why insulin users find it hard to bolus for. It really is an interesting article.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is the word Gluconeogenesis that you got wrong. That is something else. The liver dump is glycogenolysis - breaking down liver glycogen into individual glucose molecules and releasing them into the bloodstream.
Have a read of that link I gave you under the heading "Protein takes time to digest" about a third of the way down. It explains why insulin users find it hard to bolus for. It really is an interesting article.
Then that what it is but it still raises my bs. I have no problem bolusing for protein. Carbs are the disaster

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html

Also, protein takes a long time to convert to glucose - more often than not the next day. The liver may dump (at any time the hormones tell it too, especially in the absence of carbs, but it isn't gluconeogenisis. It is glucose in the liver, made from protein and stored, and not "freshly made"
Fascinating. Really explained it well.
I will have much less fear of protein and cut back a bit on fat I think.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In a keto world, gluconeogenis is very different from glyconogenisis as in keto there is very little glycogen stores. You can't be keto without having depleted glycogen stores which my means I won't glygoneogenis as fast or much

Doesn't matter. Injecting for froyien is much easier than carbs and keeps my bs far more stable. I have system that works extremely well for me