1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Billy Basic Principles of Carb Counting Vs. Insulin

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by not-so-lucky, Apr 6, 2017.

1. not-so-lucky

not-so-lucky Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Quick question.....

If I'm doing a 1:10 carb to Insulin ratio as advised by my Diabetic Nurse; does that include BOTH Bolus and Basil, or just the Basil? - She said "Fix fasting sugars first" - which I've done. i'm now getting around 4->5mmol in a morning (Bonus!) - my problem is I'm on 24 units of long acting insulin (Tresiba) If I do the 1:10 on the fast acting with meals (having counted the carbs) I feel at risk of sinking into a hypo :/ (had a few near misses - testing 8 times/day and stopping on top of it like a trojan warrior) - I left a message with the clinic, but as usual noone has got back to me lol - any advice would be gratefully recieved.

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

@not-so-lucky The ratio is just for your boluses. You count the carbs in your meal and calculate your dose according to the ratio. If 1:10g is making you low, you could try 1:12g, 1:15g or whatever. If you're unsure, give your clinic a ring and get advice as they'll know your history best and can give specific advice.

3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I agree with @azure. Just start with a low amount of Bolus to start with if you're not sure and gradually change the ratio over a few meals/days to find your best ratio.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook