Billy Basic Principles of Carb Counting Vs. Insulin

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick question.....

If I'm doing a 1:10 carb to Insulin ratio as advised by my Diabetic Nurse; does that include BOTH Bolus and Basil, or just the Basil? - She said "Fix fasting sugars first" - which I've done. i'm now getting around 4->5mmol in a morning (Bonus!) - my problem is I'm on 24 units of long acting insulin (Tresiba) If I do the 1:10 on the fast acting with meals (having counted the carbs) I feel at risk of sinking into a hypo :/ (had a few near misses - testing 8 times/day and stopping on top of it like a trojan warrior) - I left a message with the clinic, but as usual noone has got back to me lol - any advice would be gratefully recieved.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@not-so-lucky The ratio is just for your boluses. You count the carbs in your meal and calculate your dose according to the ratio. If 1:10g is making you low, you could try 1:12g, 1:15g or whatever. If you're unsure, give your clinic a ring and get advice as they'll know your history best and can give specific advice.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @azure. Just start with a low amount of Bolus to start with if you're not sure and gradually change the ratio over a few meals/days to find your best ratio.

Reactions: azure