Birthday food

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having a party in a few weeks for my birthday but really struggling to come up with healthy food options.

Got to do the usual, sausage rolls/sandwiches or my little nephew would kill me (haha)

Other than that though, I have no idea what to do.

All help greatly appreciated

trudy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about some lettuce wraps? Make up some tuna mayo or anything else you like and use lettuce leaves to make a wrap. High meat cocktail sausages. Cubed chicken breast oven cooked with garlic, paprika etc

Sent from my SM-N910F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crustless quiche, chilli and cheese poppers, crispy spiced cauli.

You could try Googling something like "Low Carb snacks" or Low Carb Buffet Food" and see what comes up. I also use a number of low carb websites. I particularly like www.ditchthecarbs.com as she also links to other low carb sites when she's doing articles on specific topics. At the moment, on her scrolling banner on her home page she has a link to "How to have a low carb party", which could be helpful.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
My nephews must be odd - at the wedding party buffet, they came back with plates full of healthy stuff

- plum tomatoes
- celery
- cucumber (their favourite)
- a sandwhich

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bacon wrapped water chestnuts roasted in the oven yummmmmm!! Also stuffed mushroom caps of almost any variety. Both are quick and easy.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having a party in a few weeks for my birthday but really struggling to come up with healthy food options.

Got to do the usual, sausage rolls/sandwiches or my little nephew would kill me (haha)

Other than that though, I have no idea what to do.

All help greatly appreciated

I guess it depends on what you mean by healthy.

When I do party food, I tend to go for variety so whatever people want they'll hopefully have a reasonable choice. So I make sure there are veggie options for sandwiches and quiche, for example, As well as sandwiches. I sometimes do oatcakes with toppings like cream cheese and smoked salmon. I also have a salad or two so people can fill up on that if they don't want too much carby or rich food.

Dips can be good too. You can have breadsticks or crisps to dip as well as raw veg like carrot sticks and celery, etc.

Some fresh fruit and a selection of cheeses? Strawberries and raspberries are great now,

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Shush- ka- bobs with meat and veggies and of course guacamole
I agree with a 'sandwich' platter of meats and veggies. You can have rolls and lettuce leaves or remake some tuna/ chicken/ egg salad wraps.
All other ideas were good too.
Mediterranean dip is always good too

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Parmesan crisps?

And of course: Ewelina's blog for diabetic friendly bakes, cakes, etc.

Robbity

ETA: I'm assuming of course, that you've raided our own Low Carb section of the forum for suitable food and recipe ideas? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people