Bit high tonight.

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your right but at the same time I there is a reason why the Atkins diet which is almost identical to the LCHF diet is discredited. I havent found my happy point yet so I am still variable one thing is for sure I am on a Low Carb diet in that I eat 100 carbs per day as a limit across all meals.

I have some keto bread but maybe mix it with a half bag of rice and tikka curry. Works around 40 carbs in the meal.

I found completely low carb required a ton of cooking which when you work late nights with your partner there is no time to come home and bake for 2 hours. So I follow portion sizes for this and swap out in some meals bad things for low carb alternatives.

Its a strange combination ive got going but im still finding my feet. My BG are 5.6 fasting and 6.1 2 hours after. If I have a really bad meal like a Sunday lunch I go for a walk immediately afterwards to make sure I burn a chunk of it off.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever makes you think that the Atkins diet has been discredited?
I have been told all sorts of things - that Dr Atkins died of a heart attack and was massively overweight at the end of his life, that there have been deaths caused by the diet, but it doesn't seem to be true.
I find low carb requires very little cooking, which is lucky as I can't eat bread other than the Lidl protein rolls, nor rice, and eating 100 gm of carb a day is way above what I could cope with even before I knew I was diabetic.
I do not eat any bad meals so don't need to go for walks in the hope of avoiding the consequences, but my BG levels are usually higher than yours, so you are very lucky to be able to eat so many carbs, and high carb foods, and still have those numbers.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OK guys there's mixed thoughts on lchf that if u can damage kidney and liver and the NHS eatwell supports carbs I say split the difference aim for 100 carb limit and that way ur still low carving but also not going to be eating veg the rest of your life
And end up with sugars at 13.4 .. no way...
I'd far rather cut the carbs to an absolute minimum and enjoy the 4's and 5's thanks..
I eat about 100 carbs per day and my BS levels are still in the 4s and 5s but I think I'm probably one of the lucky ones in that I can regularly eat bread and potatoes or pasta on occasions without too much affect on my BS.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat about 100 carbs per day and my BS levels are still in the 4s and 5s but I think I'm probably one of the lucky ones in that I can regularly eat bread and potatoes or pasta on occasions without too much affect on my BS.
You are fortunate Daphne917. Is that without meds?
Without going off topic too much, I had fasted all morning, went to prete a manger and tried their golden turmeric drink and came home to a whopping 14.00! Something I haven't seen since I was diagnosed last year Still working on it X

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am confused at your messages @sheepie123 On the one hand you pan LCHF and yet you are following a relatively low carb diet?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are fortunate Daphne917. Is that without meds?
Without going off topic too much, I had fasted all morning, went to prete a manger and tried their golden turmeric drink and came home to a whopping 14.00! Something I haven't seen since I was diagnosed last year Still working on it X
I haven't been on meds for about 2 years - my hba1c was 48 on diagnosis then, when statins rapidly pushed it up to 54, I was on sitagliptin but since my hba1c dropped to 36 after coming off statins I have been diet only. There are some things that still push my BS highish such as scampi (usually in the 9s with this) or too much rice but, on the whole, as long as I don't have too much and stick, e.g., to 1 or 2 slices of bread (I have Tesco's high protein which is 10g carb per slice) or a couple of potatoes inc mashed I seem to be fine with the more 'carby' foods even pasta.

Reactions: Speedbird