Bitter melon

Rocinante

Has anyone here used bitter melon? What results have you had? From what I've read this is like a low dose of metformin.

I've just started this a couple of weeks ago and will soon apply an Abbot Sensor to see what the effects are.

Rocinante

Well, from my googling, it seems to suggest that it may help but more study is needed
Bitter Melon and Diabetes: Benefits and Side Effects (healthline.com)

Will be interested to hear how your experience goes.

(Personal view: if it acts like metformin why not take the metformin, it's probably had a lot more studies done on it. )

Good question! I will get a formal consultation for Metformin but I am on the low side of pre-diabetic at the moment so I may not actually get it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Good question! I will get a formal consultation for Metformin but I am on the low side of pre-diabetic at the moment so I may not actually get it.

Very good point. :). I agree, I have my doubts that your GP will prescribe metformin unless you have higher levels.

How low carb are you? Is reducing carbs an option?

Rocinante

Very good point. :). I agree, I have my doubts that your GP will prescribe metformin unless you have higher levels.

How low carb are you? Is reducing carbs an option?

Was thinking I'd actually pay for a private consultation / tests as several things don't appear to be available on the NHS.

I'm pretty low carb. Quite strict Keto except when I cycle and then I have fuel (ranging from cake to energy gels, bread etc). I also do intermittent fasting of around 15-16 hours about 5 days a week.

I will say, my initial impression of bitter melon is that I don't need to fuel as much cycling, I used to require quite a lot of fuel but now it does seem I need significantly less in order to power myself, I guess because glucose is better able to travel into my muscles.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone here used bitter melon? What results have you had? From what I've read this is like a low dose of metformin.

I've just started this a couple of weeks ago and will soon apply an Abbot Sensor to see what the effects are.
I use bitter melons 2-3 times a week, they are very bitter so I think good for your BG,

. In short I am pre and for last 8 yrs not taking any medication. I eat fresh no can food, no red meat. no dairy, no starchy vegetables, Good luck.
Omar

Madisons

How do you cook bitter melon? I tried it once from a recipe, blanching it first for 30 seconds, then stir-frying it with garlic and fermented black beans and some chili flakes. It was so awful and bitter that it made me nauseous. Guess you have to get used to the bitterness. I'm fine with dandelion greens though, aside from stir-frying it in garlic as well, I can eat it raw. Got a fatty liver, so trying to eat stuff that's supposed to help with the NAFLD. Just have to watch the carbs though for the prediabetes. Any recipe or meal suggestions will be a great help.

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi- bitter melon do help

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How do you cook bitter melon? I tried it once from a recipe, blanching it first for 30 seconds, then stir-frying it with garlic and fermented black beans and some chili flakes. It was so awful and bitter that it made me nauseous. Guess you have to get used to the bitterness. I'm fine with dandelion greens though, aside from stir-frying it in garlic as well, I can eat it raw. Got a fatty liver, so trying to eat stuff that's supposed to help with the NAFLD. Just have to watch the carbs though for the prediabetes. Any recipe or meal suggestions will be a great help.

Hi- you can get bitter melon capsules