Blood glucose level through the roof

Lesley56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my glucose level was 18 last night, highest it's ever been, can only think that all the orange juice and Manuka honey I've taken over the last week has got rid of my cold but has done nothing for glucose levels, anyone got any diabetic cold remedies out there, I hate the after taste that you get with sugar free drinks, might have to start getting use to it I suppose

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi my glucose level was 18 last night, highest it's ever been, can only think that all the orange juice and Manuka honey I've taken over the last week has got rid of my cold but has done nothing for glucose levels, anyone got any diabetic cold remedies out there, I hate the after taste that you get with sugar free drinks, might have to start getting use to it I suppose
I love lemongrass and ginger tea when I have a cold. I know it's not quite the same as lovely honeyed drinks, but for me it hits the spot. Perhaps you could add some erythritol if you're desperate for sweetness.

Orange juice is great for vitamin C (and terrible for blood sugar), but upping your vitamin C *during* a cold isn't likely to help (further than a placebo effect - which shouldn't be underestimated). Although it can give you a little extra defence against colds if you keep up vitamin C levels as a matter of course.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The average length of time a cold stays is a week - so I'm afraid that the honey and orange juice only worked on your blood glucose, and sipping warm tea - I like licorice and mint myself with nothing added might have been a better choice.
There are no remedies for colds which actually work - you can alleviate the symptoms, but better not with sugary drinks.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The average length of time a cold stays is a week - so I'm afraid that the honey and orange juice only worked on your blood glucose, and sipping warm tea - I like licorice and mint myself with nothing added might have been a better choice.
There are no remedies for colds which actually work - you can alleviate the symptoms, but better not with sugary drinks.
You can treat a cold and reduce the time it lasts to 7 days. Otherwise it takes a week to clear (apparently, that is)

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I take fresh mint leaves, slices of fresh lemons and freshly squeezed pomegranate seeds in warm water to cure coughs and colds!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A slice of fresh ginger and a slice of lemon in a glass of hot water is soothing and refreshing at the same time. Use it to wash down a couple of paracetamol for max effect.
Hope you’re feeling a lot better now @Lesley56

Reactions: Dinesidda