Blood glucose level

gerhardlehner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have type 2 diabetes, I am 79 years old and control my diabetes with tablets. My readings before breakfast are anything between 10 and 13. My doctor tells me that these readings are satisfactory. Looking at entries on your forum my readings are far too high. Could I have your comments please.

Reactions: Carpetsalesman

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have type 2 diabetes, I am 79 years old and control my diabetes with tablets. My readings before breakfast are anything between 10 and 13. My doctor tells me that these readings are satisfactory. Looking at entries on your forum my readings are far too high. Could I have your comments please.
Hello Gerhard,

It is satisfactory, if you don't mind getting complications and ever increasing dosages of medication, I suppose. I get a feeling a lot of GP's just don't bother because they don't actually know how to help their patients. Can you tell us more about your medication and your diet? I'd say, go low carb and watch a miracle happen, but you might have to be careful, depending on what medication you're on. I take it you test, so that's an excellent start. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some.

Anyway, welcome, and hopefully we can help get you back to better numbers!
Jo

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, I suspect your Dr is being ageist! He's thinking at nearly 80 what does it matter! Of COURSE it matters at any age though, so unless you are a person who is very frail, or has many other health conditions or is fading away unable to eat and so on, then those numbers are too high. Can you tell us your general health, day to day activities and meals etc? Sorry to sound nosy but it really does help for others to be able to give advice relative to their experiences. A BIG, warm welcome by the way, it's nice to get a more distinguished diabetes buddy! x

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Following is my opinion, I’m not a doctor

Satisfactory based on what?
Do you know what your hba1c is? What tablets are you on?
As others have said, those levels seem too high in the order of double what I’d be looking for personally. Uncontrolled bloods in this level given the COVID pandemic are not sensible.

those levels are where my nurse was actively looking to change my meds and well on the way to insulin prior to me making the changes to my lifestyle

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

The guidance for those past a certain age seems to be "Poor ******* don't have long to go, let them enjoy themselves. Something else will probably finish them off anyway.".
Maintaining good BG levels for those who are in care homes with dementia seems pointless.
However I assume that isn't you as you are asking questions on this forum. :)

You do need to give us much more information, though.
What tablets, and what dosage?
What is your HbA1c?
Your reading before breakfast is your fasting BG, and this is often affected by Dawn Phenomenon which is when your body loads you blood stream with extra glucose to set you up for the day.
If your BG levels then drop back to normal during the day and you don't spike enormously after meals then your overall BG management could be satisfactory.
Spot readings of BG are not as important as your overall readings (as shown by HbA1c).

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Give us information and we will respond with (sometimes) good advice.

Edited by moderator in line with forum policy on acceptable language

Last edited by a moderator:

gerhardlehner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Following is my opinion, I’m not a doctor

Satisfactory based on what?
Do you know what your hba1c is? What tablets are you on?
As others have said, those levels seem too high in the order of double what I’d be looking for personally. Uncontrolled bloods in this level given the COVID pandemic are not sensible.

those levels are where my nurse was actively looking to change my meds and well on the way to insulin prior to me making the changes to my lifestyle
My HbA1c in July was 50. My diabetes medication is: breakfast 2 Metformin 500mg and 1 Gliclazide 40mg and in the evening I take 2 Metformin 500mg and 1 Gliclazide 80mg.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c in July was 50. My diabetes medication is: breakfast 2 Metformin 500mg and 1 Gliclazide 40mg and in the evening I take 2 Metformin 500mg and 1 Gliclazide 80mg.
Careful with low carb and gliclazide, you could hypo. Keep testing and see whether you can decrease your gliclazide intake in favour of low carb, as low carb is more effective in the short and the long run.