Regards
James

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Which type of diabetes do you have, and are you on any medication for it?

What exactly did you eat for lunch?

Sorry for all the questions, but we can't answer your own question without a bit more information.

Hello

I have been told to monitor as my reading doctor took yesterday fasting was 9.7

At this stage they want to see how my blood sugar are for this week.

Lunch was chips cheese and pasta bake with a coke 250ml

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How long after your lunch did you test?

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9.7 fasting is high,mine was 9.9 and im now on medication

The fasting blood test is best when u wake up in the morning ,yours was 8.5, mine is usually around 8.2 to 9.0 and all the other tests can be spiked up or down during the day by food or even exercise

Not sure why you are drinking coke and earing high carbs ,your tests will not get better if u keep eating that

I imagine your doctor will put you on low dose medication

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.

The fasting blood test is best when u wake up in the morning ,yours was 8.5, mine is usually around 8.2 to 9.0 and all the other tests can be spiked up or down during the day by food or even exercise

Not sure why you are drinking coke and earing high carbs ,your tests will not get better if u keep eating that

To be fair, we have no idea whether @Flaxmanjam1994 will be offered medication or even diagnosed with T2 diabetes yet. If not yet diagnosed, there is a good argument for keeping the same eating patterns while monitoring BGs. If you make big changes then the results may be unreliable. Also, the BG results during the day shown above aren't very high.

The minimum effective Metformin dose is usually considered to be 1000mg. A low dose of 500mg is usually only taken for the first week before going up to 1000mg. Personally I don't see the point in starting out and continuing with 500mg when 1000mg may be needed.

I drink coke and have carbs to stay awake withnout them is get very sleepy and no energy they give me a boost what I need to get though the afternoon

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink coke and have carbs to stay awake withnout them is get very sleepy and no energy they give me a boost what I need to get though the afternoon

Do you realise it is the carbs that are making you sleepy, and making you crave them even more?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I wouldn’t change any of your usual foods for this week that you’re monitoring, they’ll want to see your response to the usual carbohydrates.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All you can do is eat normally (for you) and wait for the doctor to diagnose you. It's only a week.

Reactions: Jenny15

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
My loo brakes today are at the moment 17 times and need to go agian I recon I am diabetic but manage it but it’s getting worse
If you are in the UK then normally your GP would send you to the lab* to have an HbA1c blood test to confirm the diagnosis. If you have had one of these tests do you happen to remember what your last test result was?

EDIT: I'm told that in the UK this is done at the GP's surgery.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are in the UK then normally your GP would send you to the lab to have an HbA1c blood test to confirm the diagnosis. If you have had one of these tests do you happen to remember what your last test result was?

Not quite correct. The HbA1c is done in the doctor's surgery. The blood is then sent off to the lab.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
No I did not know that thank you just with out them I feel drained
This is normal if your BGs are running high. Once you have been diagnosed we can help you choose foods that will make you feel better.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
If you are in the UK then normally your GP would send you to the lab to have an HbA1c blood test to confirm the diagnosis. If you have had one of these tests do you happen to remember what your last test result was?
Just done blood sugars what at 9.5 ish and hi protein in blood and low ketones all I know until next time for a proper diagnosis test they are doing