BLOOD GLUCOSE MEASUREMENT

alanG123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone any experience of a SMARTWATCH that measures blood glucose.
There are an increasing number of these for sale, but searching the internet indicates that direct monitoring from a smartwatch is not possible.
I am trying one at the moment, but it is not accurate compared with manual testing with ACCUCHEK, or constant testing with FREESTYLE LIBRE 2.

The cost of smartwatches is significantly lower than FREESTYLE, which costs approx £50 every two weeks, and would be attractive , if it worked.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I don't think the technology is there yet, maybe sometime in the future, who knows.
Even if they ever get it to work , I do wonder how accurate it can be, our glucose monitors which actually measure a drop of blood can only manage +/-15%. I struggle to see how something strapped to the wrist can be any better.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are a number of threads on this topic.
If you look at the small print on the watch details, it usually says something like "not suitable for medical use" and any reviews back this up - the BG reported by these watches seems to be a random number unrelated to any true blood readings.

I believe Apple has been working on this problem for a number of years and not got there yet.
I believe it is possible. The argument about finger prick accuracy is a red herring - CGMs need to have similar accuracy and they do not use blood.

Reactions: SimonP78

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I believe it is possible. The argument about finger prick accuracy is a red herring - CGMs need to have similar accuracy and they do not use blood.
Cgms use interstitial fluid though?

Reactions: aylalake

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The argument about finger prick accuracy is a red herring - CGMs need to have similar accuracy and they do not use blood
Your augment that CGM's work without blood could also be seen as a red herring, they measure interstitial fluid from just under the skin which I believe is still classed as a bodily fluid.
So unless these watches have some device that can pierce your wrist to sample something, I still have my doubts as to how accurate they can be

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@EllieM and @catinahat my point about CGMs is that there are other ways beyond blood to measure BG.
Some years ago, there were some prototype contact lens that measure Bg from the liquid in your eyes.
Others have measured BG from sweat.
I guess these are still considered to be "bodily fluids" but they are not blood and, just because a non-scientist like me does not understand how refracted light on our skin measures BG, does not mean it is not possible in the future.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Of course you are correct @In Response , no one can possibly predict future technologies, I still feel that they might come up with a cure before they get them to work.
The main thing we should be focusing on is people being fooled into parting with their money for something which is basically a toy.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I still feel that they might come up with a cure before they get them to work.
Initially I used the laughing emoji in response to your comment but then realised it was only this part that amused me. Forgive me but it is a standing joke amongst people with Type 1.
I can't comment about type 2 but the cure for Type 1 has been "about 10 years away" since before I was diagnosed and I was diagnosed 20 years ago. I believed it then but now I don't believe it is likely in my lifetime whereas I do expect to see commercially available and reliable non-invasive BG monitors.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: catinahat

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My Garmin watch takes bluetooth readings direct from my Dexcom G6 and I get alerts when running high/low on my watch but has to be used in conjunction with an iphone too, it useful when exercising or driving as you get a buzz on your watch when your levels are out of range.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
My Garmin watch takes bluetooth readings direct from my Dexcom G6 and I get alerts when running high/low on my watch but has to be used in conjunction with an iphone too, it useful when exercising or driving as you get a buzz on your watch when your levels are out of range.
That still requires you to spend a lot of money on CGMs, which the original poster points out is more than the smartwatch.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
That still requires you to spend a lot of money on CGMs, which the original poster points out is more than the smartwatch.
Thanks but I was only explaining how it could be done based on the fact this tech isn't available yet.

Reactions: aylalake

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Tim Street did some reviews of the CGM watches coming on the market.

In summary - they don't work.

Reactions: SimonP78