Blood Glucose Monitor

Doodle24610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya,

I was diagnosed as Type 2 approx 3 weeks ago. My nurse and doctor claim that because I am taking Metformin, I don't require a monitor and the NHS won't fund them or the strips & lancets.

Surely, in order for me to identify my patterns etc I would need one?!

A friend tested my blood as I looked a bit 'peaky' and it was 3.8. I had something to eat, after 1 hour it was 10.2. After 2 hours it was 12.4. When I told the doctor this, she said that is normal. Is it?

I have also been advised to ask to be referred to the diabetic clinic at the hospital as they are more reliable and helpful etc.

I have applied for a free monitor through Glucomen for now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nikki

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Surely, in order for me to identify my patterns etc I would need one?!" - Yes, you could/should(?) test before eating and then ~2hrs after and compare the results, you can then decide to either reduce the portion and remove entirely from your diet the carby part of the meal. Most T2D who don't get a funded meter use the Codefree meter as its testing strips are cheaper than most. theres voucher codes too - search for it on here to find them

"A friend tested my blood as I looked a bit 'peaky' and it was 3.8. I had something to eat, after 1 hour it was 10.2. After 2 hours it was 12.4. When I told the doctor this, she said that is normal. Is it?" - No, but depends on what you ate - if it was a 1kg of Kendle mint cake then I'd imagine most people would see a similar result.

The NHS tend not to give T2Ds meters when they are just on metformin (or any other non hypo inducing medication, their theory goes something like: "You're not going to go low, so you don't need to test, we'll do a hba1c test every 6-12months, if its high we'll prescribe you some more tablets, oh and carry on eating potatoes, rice, pasta etc as you need those good carbs."

Being Diabetic is a bit like being allergic to sugar/carbs, do they tell someone with a nut allergy to carry on eating nuts?..............

Reactions: 2 people

maggie59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
3.8 is very low when it's that low u shd hv something that's high in sugar they normally advise you to hv 5 jelly babys to bring ur levels back up & 10.2 & 12.2 is very high the best thing to do to get ur levels back down is to exercise or have a handful of unsalted nuts or some peanut butter helps to get ur levels back down & I've been told the same thing by the nurse that I dnt need to keep checking my blood but I prefer to know what my levels r so I can keep them under control if u can get hold of a monitor great keep a check on ur levels at least 3 times a day ur levels shd be btwn 5.0 & 6.9 ok hope this helps good luck with ur levels take care

Doodle24610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for replying. I shall have a look at the meters.

I had a bacon sandwich on wholemeal bread, no butter, small amount of mayo.

maggie59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Bacon sandwitch is fine i hv butter in my bacon sandwitch & mayo so that's fine as long as it's in brown bread lol sounds like ur in the early stages of being diagnosed so dnt worry too much in a few weeks ur levels shd get under control I was diagnosed in May & my levels were all over the place but they're under control now as long as u stick to low carbs, low sugar & high fat diet u shd be fine

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying. I shall have a look at the meters.

I had a bacon sandwich on wholemeal bread, no butter, small amount of mayo.

Bread is not a good choice, whether white or wholemeal. Bacon is fine. Butter is fine. Real mayo (not low fat) is fine.

All carbs convert to glucose once inside the system - not just sugar and not just white bread, but all carbs including wholemeal. The worst culprits are potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, cereals and anything made with flour. This is why we need to reduce our carb intake (by a lot in most cases). Replace the missing food with extra vegetables, salads, dairy foods, avocados, nuts in moderation, meat and fish. Fruits need to be eaten sparingly, and tropical fruits like bananas should be avoided as they contain too much sugar.

I will tag @daisy1 who has an excellent welcome post for newcomers. Have a careful read of it as it contains a lot of useful information. Have a good read round the forum threads and the main website, and ask questions if you don't understand something.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
People that are type2 tend to be looked after by gp,s and their surgery's diabetic nurse. Though I Don, t know about type2,s on Insulin.
Very few type2,s get a monitor and strips from their surgery. I would advise getting a c
Sd codefree monitor and the strips from amazon as they are the cheapest.

Doodle24610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would you mind sending me the link to the ones you guys use please as I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for.

Sorry to be a pain.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Bread any kind of bread has to viewed with a great deal of caution, a white supmarket bloomer will raise your blood sugar as almost as much and as quickly as the equivalent weight of sugar. Whole grain breads are better ie. slower acting but only in very limmited ammouts and with test to see the effect on your system.

3.8 is low but not near dangerously low and it is about as low as it gets for a T2, on Metformin. If I get a number below 4 I eat something BUT sugary sweets are not the way to go, a small apple or half slice of whole grain bread or some peanut butter are a much better choice.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Doodle24610

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. In particular it gives a lot of detail about restricting carbs and a link to the Low Carb Program. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend tested my blood as I looked a bit 'peaky' and it was 3.8. I had something to eat, after 1 hour it was 10.2. After 2 hours it was 12.4. When I told the doctor this, she said that is normal. Is it?

It is the normal response of someone who is T2D and has just eaten a significant amount of carbs. :D

Yes it is a good idea for you to get a glucose meter and test strips to discover what kind of food affects you. Generally carbs has the most direct impact, followed by proteins and then fats. That is why many of us enjoy our new found, diabetic friendly, higher fats carbs lite diet. Life can be good after diagnosis.

Runrignik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Basically its the cost (false economy because if you end up in hospital it would cost a lot more) several ways you could get a monitor ask you practice nurse if she has any spares try lifescan or this forum I have had several glucometers this way, or go back to your GP ask for referral to diabetes clinic or gentle pester you GP saying you feel off,
Its not the NHS but the GP funding in the community which funds medicines etc and they were told last year to get the bills down.
I tend to buy my strips from Ebay or Amazon when they are cheep, (£13.59 for 50 strips of Verio or £18,50 of 50 one touch + post and packaging) negotiated with GP to buy my own in between their presciptions, but when I feel rough or ill they fund them fully. (reluctantly!)

Metformin made me ill and I could only tolerate them for one year then changed to Sitaglipin 50mg X1 daily but again blood sugars high for me in the morning 8.9 to 11.9 mmol they like (GP) them between 5- 7 mmol
I hope this helps
regards
Runrignik

Reactions: 3 people

Doodle24610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Thank you so much for your help :)

The free meter I have been sent is the GlucoMen Areo. The branded test strips are expensive! Are there any compatible ones or would I be better off buying a codefree one?

Thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Thank you so much for your help :)

The free meter I have been sent is the GlucoMen Areo. The branded test strips are expensive! Are there any compatible ones or would I be better off buying a codefree one?

Thank you

That's why the meter was free - they make their money from the strips.

You can't interchange strips and meters. You are either stuck with the expensive ones or you can keep that meter as a spare for emergencies and buy a Codefree.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically its the cost (false economy because if you end up in hospital it would cost a lot more) several ways you could get a monitor ask you practice nurse if she has any spares try lifescan or this forum I have had several glucometers this way, or go back to your GP ask for referral to diabetes clinic or gentle pester you GP saying you feel off,
Its not the NHS but the GP funding in the community which funds medicines etc and they were told last year to get the bills down.
I tend to buy my strips from Ebay or Amazon when they are cheep, (£13.59 for 50 strips of Verio or £18,50 of 50 one touch + post and packaging) negotiated with GP to buy my own in between their presciptions, but when I feel rough or ill they fund them fully. (reluctantly!)

The problem with asking your GP/diabetes nurse for meters is that they may well be free but the strips will then come at a cost. The SD Codefree meter that is generally recommended here on our forum for self-funded testing has much cheaper strips than the other brands that you can normally buy on Amazon or ebay - they're around £6-£7 a pack depending on the quantity you buy - so at least half the prices you're quoting...

Robbity