Blood glucose monitoring

sue.cassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone help do you recommend monitoring I have type 2 on diet only am getting conflicting advice also as I need to lose weight is lie carb good idea

Sue

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Sue, yes, monitoring will help you detect how certain foods will affect your blood glucose levels. And yes, reducing carb intake will help also. Try to take some form or regular exercise too, even if it's just a walk.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sue.cassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for reply had to attend a steps course similar I think it other diabetes courses the nurse was adamant that should not test and when I asked how I would know how foods affected my levels she said she had told us what food to eat and what to avoid I was surprised as all the leaflets etc were from diabetes uk and yet advice was different I have acquired a new puppy so am trying to walk more.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I was told not to test as Im diet controlled too.
I am a nurse and thought my symptoms were that of low blood sugar. I bought a monitor and tested , I was actually high when I was feeling ill not low. I think its an important part of my treatment now. I try to have a lower carb / good carb diet now and check to see how foods affect me. I'm lucky I can afford the testing strips but they should be free. I hope that by avoiding things that put my sugar up I will avoid medications atleast for a while anyway.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes, test, test and test, when you've worked out what foods causes your bloods to go up you can ease off. Low carb is great but weight loss is important. I love the book Carbs and Cals, which I find really helpful.

It's your body, not the nurses. Take charge

Good Luck!

Cara

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sue.cassie said:
the nurse was adamant that should not test and when I asked how I would know how foods affected my levels she said she had told us what food to eat and what to avoid

Maybe she is fed up with people going back to her with questions once they start testing.

Testing can only be a good thing. Do it. Just don't let it get you down or take your life over!

sue.cassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can't accept that she would be fed up it was a steps course that I was told by my surgery nurse to attend and I am not likely to se the nurse who gave the talk again. I did want to ask her what could be the cause do my feeling light headed nauseas and weird now and then but with her attitude felt as if it was a silly question so didn't bother

senco0121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 diet controlled for three years. Wondering where to get these blood monitor machines and would I need test strips? Thinking if I could figure out what spikes sugars would be good. Would I test before and two hours after eating? My levels been around 6 my gp thought that type 2 just started so sugars not excessive. Bit spooked not sure how long this phase will last.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I am type 2 diet controlled for three years. Wondering where to get these blood monitor machines and would I need test strips? Thinking if I could figure out what spikes sugars would be good. Would I test before and two hours after eating? My levels been around 6 my gp thought that type 2 just started so sugars not excessive. Bit spooked not sure how long this phase will last.

Senco,
I would try testing before & @ +2hr on foods to build up a personal database on how given foods affect you. If you are self funding,
I would get a SD CodeFree meter @£11.60 from http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm and strips @ £6.99/50 as they are the cheapest for strips that I have found.