Type 2 Blood Glucose Not Going Do

JohhnyHachoo

Hi All,

this is my first post. I have tried metformin, including XR - extended release,but did not tolerate it. I was given glicazide 40 mg x 1 day and I have relatively well controlled. Furthermore, I do test my blood sugar and because I drive I always test before I drive. My blood sugars have been slowly increasing and the last 3 days my readings have been above my target of 5 - 7.9 and today’s reading was 11.7. Typically, if get a high reading then the next reading will be in my target or it will be borderline hypo.

the last 3 days I have experienced, lethargy, tiredness, urinating large volume at night, flushed skin, and a bit of ‘brain fog.’

spoke to my GP who said my last Hb1ac was 47, my previous was 56, and my highest was 75. He did not think it was not worthwhile to change medications because of my last Hb1ac level and did not want to rely daily testing. My concern glicazide is not work and I am beginning to build up blood glucose. Previously when I hit 14 I was told not to worry and I have signs of diabetic retinopathy.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. In order to make suggestions of next steps can you answer some questions.

How long have you been diagnosed? Where in those hb1ac results did glicazide start? What else do you do to control levels? Eg diet and activity? Are you under over or about right in weight and has that changed during the course of disease?

do you test before and after meals? When are the fingerprick readings usually taken? After what food? And lastly have you been ill or had a vaccination around the same time as the rise?

Reactions: EllieM

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as the above, What does your typical meals look like? What sort of things do you eat?

JohhnyHachoo

Welcome. In order to make suggestions of next steps can you answer some questions.

How long have you been diagnosed? Where in those hb1ac results did glicazide start? What else do you do to control levels? Eg diet and activity? Are you under over or about right in weight and has that changed during the course of disease?

do you test before and after meals? When are the fingerprick readings usually taken? After what food? And lastly have you been ill or had a vaccination around the same time as the rise?
I do two finger pricks. First, Is fasting before eating anything in the morning and this tends to be my highest reading and usually taken around 6 am. After breakfast I will then drive to work. Then at lunch, around 12 noon I will have lunch and glicazide. Before driving in the evening, I will take my next finger prick at about 4 pm. This will be my lower reading. Typically there is about 10 - 12 hours between readings.

Glickazide started in March after trying different things with metformin and not tolerating it. I was borderline diabetic about 3 years ago and had another Hb1Ac done September 2020 and it was around 75 and then December it was 56 and most recent 45. I was on the clinically most vulnerable and I started losing weight after taking metformin and weight has stabalised with glickazide.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so the gliclazide was after the 56 but before the 45? That’s pretty low to be started on gliclazide and sounds a bit hardcore unless there were other factors influencing that decision. Were you cev due to weight/other issues? Your Hb1ac looks unlikely to be the cause.

Gliclazide increases your own insulin production and insulin is a fat storing hormone amongst other things. Metformin has a small weight loss effect usually due to reduced appetite. Was weight loss a desirable planned thing or not?

It’s totally normal for the first reading of the day to be the highest due to dawn phenomenon.

What about diet. What are you eating?

have you been ill or vaccinated or stressed or done something out of routine? Daft question maybe but did you double check the 11? We all get a rogue reading now and then due to contamination/unwashed hands etc How are the readings now?

JohhnyHachoo

As well as the above, What does your typical meals look like? What sort of things do you eat?
I am a like breakfast and luch person. Lunch tends to be salad with no dressing. Breakfast depends on blood sugars, typically a bit of yogurt with nuts or fruit, primarily apples. Supper tends to be a bit larger. It iwll depend on wife and my schedule. Usually meat with a veg or salad.

JohhnyHachoo

Ok so the gliclazide was after the 56 but before the 45? That’s pretty low to be started on gliclazide and sounds a bit hardcore unless there were other factors influencing that decision. Were you cev due to weight/other issues? Your Hb1ac looks unlikely to be the cause.

Gliclazide increases your own insulin production and insulin is a fat storing hormone amongst other things. Metformin has a small weight loss effect usually due to reduced appetite. Was weight loss a desirable planned thing or not?

It’s totally normal for the first reading of the day to be the highest due to dawn phenomenon.

What about diet. What are you eating?

have you been ill or vaccinated or stressed or done something out of routine? Daft question maybe but did you double check the 11? We all get a rogue reading now and then due to contamination/unwashed hands etc How are the readings now?
I have been prediabetic for the last 5 years. However, I have not had my blood sugars tested until September 2020. At the test my Hb1AC was 75 and I was put on metformin. In December Hb1AC went down to 56 however, I developed side-effects from Metformin. I tried different approached with Metform but went off of it in March and I was switched to Glickazide. Last Hb1AC at beginning of July was 45.

I am aware of the Dawn phenonmen and up until about a month ago I would average in the mdi-6. A month ago my morning blood sugar went up to the mid 7s and for about the last week I have been in the 8s & 9s in the morning. In about 4 - 6 weeks my blood sugar has gone up between 2 - 3 points even though my diet has not changed. Oddly, my evening readings have been higher, between 9 - 11.5.

JohhnyHachoo

I have been diagnosed for about 1 year. Glickazide started in March so it will have contributed to the 45 result.

As for finger pricks, I am very consistent. Typically right before breakfast and then right before supper. If I am driving any distance I will check my blood glucose before I leave. Timing between monrning and evening finger prick is somewhere between 11 - 13 hours.

3 meals typically breakfast between 5 & 6 AM, noon, and supper usually between 4 - 6 pm. Glickazide is taken with noon meal since it tends to give the most balanced result. If I take it closer to breakfast, I will run the risk of hypos when I test my evening test and if I take it with my supper then when I test my evening my evening will run up to 14.5 though my morning blood glucose will bet in the low 5 - low 6 range.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed for about 1 year. Glickazide started in March so it will have contributed to the 45 result.

As for finger pricks, I am very consistent. Typically right before breakfast and then right before supper. If I am driving any distance I will check my blood glucose before I leave. Timing between monrning and evening finger prick is somewhere between 11 - 13 hours.

3 meals typically breakfast between 5 & 6 AM, noon, and supper usually between 4 - 6 pm. Glickazide is taken with noon meal since it tends to give the most balanced result. If I take it closer to breakfast, I will run the risk of hypos when I test my evening test and if I take it with my supper then when I test my evening my evening will run up to 14.5 though my morning blood glucose will bet in the low 5 - low 6 range.
Please can you give details of your three meals. Specify what veg and if you have potato, bread, rice or pasta with them. These details matter.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Even apples can be a problem for some Type 2's (like me) carrots (even raw ones) will also spike my Blood Glucose too much.

Have you ever tested before and then 2hrs after meals (at least the meals you don't take the glic with) in order to see if you could reduce or substitute the carbs in order to keep your BG more in balance.

Low energy could be either peaks/troughs in Blood Glucose, or just simply eating too few calories. We don't need to count calories - even if you want/need to lose weight, just cutting the carbs will do that for most people. Replace the carbs with extra Protein and fat - eggs are the perfect mix of protein and fat, but fatty meats, nuts and even hard cheeses are also options.