Blood glucose plateaus

jammy1988

I'm non-diabetic (so far as I know), but I have been monitoring my levels and just have a few questions.

My BG tends to peak anywhere from the high 6s to the high 7s, even after relatively low carb meals, normally at around 45 mins. Sometimes it comes back down to the low 5s within 2 hours, but at other times, normally either after lunch or very often after dinner, it peaks as normal, but then remains (relatively) high, in the mid 6s for several hours afterwards, rather than dropping down to its 'base' level. For example, for breakfast today I had tinned spaghetti on soya/linseed bread, with some mushrooms and fried onions. All told there were about 45-50g carbs. I peaked at 7.7 at 45 mins, 6.8 at 1hr, and 5.1 at 2hrs. However, after a lower carb lunch (35-40g, with comparable levels of fat and protein), I peaked at 6.6, but I stayed at around that level for at least the next 2 hours rather than dropping back to normal levels. At dinner yesterday it took about 4 hours before I noticed any significant drop.

I know my BG isn't going into diabetic numbers, but is it at all odd that it appears to plateau at a relatively high level for me after lunch and dinner? And are the peak levels I'm seeing actually rather high for relatively low carb meals? When I started testing a few months ago, I didn't notice this pattern, and I had a pretty standard rise and fall within 2 hours. I've been exercising more regularly since, and I've cut my carb intake, which I would have thought should have made things better, not worse. Any ideas?

MaryJ

Hi Jammy,

My answer is sorry dont know,

your 2 hour levels are excellent and I'd be happy with that.

Some of the more knowledagble members will be along soon and may be answer your more specific question

Mary x