Blood Glucose readings staying the same.

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !
Good evening everyone.

I'm Prediabetique and have been testing for the last twelve weeks or so.
I've adopted the LCHF regime and I'm trying to keep the carbs to less than 50 gm a day. I've also reduced my calories by only eating one meal a day, i.e. skipping breakfast and lunch and just eating till I'm full at dinner-time. When I eat in the evening I now find it hard to cram down much more than 1200 calories. I had no difficulty omitting breakfast and lunch and actually feel much better for it....no falling asleep in the afternoons for a start !
And in twelve weeks I've dropped 11kg from 104kg to 93kg.....another 1.5kg and I'll only be OVERWEIGHT !

BUT....the weight loss has stalled for the last 10 days hovering + or - 0.5kg from 93kg.
And my blood glucose readings have hardly moved at all.
My morning fasting reading for the first 4week period averaged out at 6.4mmol/l
The next 4 week period was 6.6mmol/l, and the last 4 week period was 6.3mmol/l.

Pre meal average readings have been 5.9mmol/l, 6.0mmol/l and 5.9mmol/l
After meal average readings were 6.8mmol/l, 6.9mmol/l, and 6.9mmol/l
I use a Code -Free meter.
These averages are all from readings that are not too far apart, for example my lowest fasting figure was 5.6mmol/l and the highest was 7.7mmol/l.....and that was after succumbing to not one but two pain chocolats the night before.
I've read that Fasting Blood Glucose readings are often the last to go down because of the Dawn Phenomenon, but after twelve weeks should I not have seen a change in some of the readings ?

Once again, I would appreciate someone with more experience having a look at these figures and passing comment.

Thanks again.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @bluecurlylegend ..
I don't think you have anything to worry about .. your readings are fine, you are doing well and your progress is another testament to LCHF. Your FBG readings could be affected by dawn phenomen but as I said above .. nothing to worry about. Keep doing what you're doing and maybe up your daily exercise a bit

Hope this helps .. and well done :happy::happy:

Reactions: geefull

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your body can get used to One Meal A Day quite rapidly and adjust your metabolism to match it. Sometimes its worth mixing it up and doing a bit of feasting as well as fasting. Megan Ramos (who works with Dr Jason Fung) mentions this in a podcast on the 2ketodudes page
http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=58
Maybe try changing your routine a bit and see if that helps.
By the way the 2ketodudes is another great resource and the podcasts are really informative as well as being people who have either done it or are the main luminaries in Low Carb world.

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !
Thanks everyone for the replies.
AM1874, I'm going to step up the exercise a bit, I have admittedly been using the weather as an excuse not to go so far on the bike. It's not the rain that bothers me so much it's a morbid dread of having to wash the bike afterwards. That's what 50 years of cycling in the west of Scotland can do for you.....
I read with interest the thread Goonergal directed me to and it seems that I should perhaps give my system a bit of a kick start by doing a bit of feasting as well as fasting. ****, I was getting used to fasting ! Never mind, if I've done it once I can do it again.
So I've started today by raising my cards and calories and I'll continue this for another couple of days and see what happens.
Bulkbiker also pointed me to 2ketodudes and I've been listening to them today. They're quite....boisterously enthusiastic...I would say. But once I get used to their speech patterns, I find them rather refreshing and, to borrow their speech idiom, "They don't talk **** !"
I'm trying to get them onto my iPod so that I can listen to them while I'm out walking, but that's another task to keep the grey cells occupied.
Thanks again everyone.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for the replies.
AM1874, I'm going to step up the exercise a bit, I have admittedly been using the weather as an excuse not to go so far on the bike. It's not the rain that bothers me so much it's a morbid dread of having to wash the bike afterwards. That's what 50 years of cycling in the west of Scotland can do for you.....
I read with interest the thread Goonergal directed me to and it seems that I should perhaps give my system a bit of a kick start by doing a bit of feasting as well as fasting. ****, I was getting used to fasting ! Never mind, if I've done it once I can do it again.
So I've started today by raising my cards and calories and I'll continue this for another couple of days and see what happens.
Bulkbiker also pointed me to 2ketodudes and I've been listening to them today. They're quite....boisterously enthusiastic...I would say. But once I get used to their speech patterns, I find them rather refreshing and, to borrow their speech idiom, "They don't talk **** !"
I'm trying to get them onto my iPod so that I can listen to them while I'm out walking, but that's another task to keep the grey cells occupied.
Thanks again everyone.
The dudes are great and Richard is very "into" the science behind keto as well as having apparently infinite patience to explain things. On the forum he is always incredibly thorough with his help and explanation. The cry of "show me the science" leads to great discussions..
https://www.ketogenicforums.com
I would heartily recommend joining to anyone interested in Low Carb, Keto, Zero carb and general health benefits of lowering carb intake.