1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood glucose results

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Stevefranky, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Stevefranky

Stevefranky · Member

Hi all I have just done my first proper testing before and after a meal as only got my glucose machine today it was 6.9 before and 11.8 2 hours after is this normal

2. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

No. Too high a jump. What did you eat?

3. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @Stevefranky welcome. You would be ideally looking for a rise of no more than 2. It would be early days for you on your journey. I would suggest that you review your meal and see what carbohydrates were prominent. Many do not know that pasta, rice, potatoes, bread and similar raise blood sugars, mostly outside of the normal range.

Have a look at this link:
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Continue educate your self on the types of foods that will be more compatible with your situation. This is a good resource https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds. If you are a meat eater then start with this at the centre of your meals, or fish / seafood (all without breading and added sugar, glazings and the like - seasonings with no sugar are fine). Review the veg on the links and if you are into fruit have anything that ends in berry (with Greek yogurt perhaps and a few nuts). Bacon, eggs, sausages, mushrooms are also fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stevefranky

Stevefranky · Member

It was beef strips with veg and lentils and two wholemeal small cobs

5. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There's your culprit

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stevefranky

Stevefranky · Member

Thanks still learning early days

7. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I assume you're Type 2 because if you were Type 1 and that rise persisted for an hour or 2 longer, it would mean that you did not take enough insulin to match the carb count in what you ate.

8. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You don't have to get everything right overnight, sure took me 3 months to figure it out. Check this forum's website, Dr. jason Fung's The Diabetes Code book, dietdoctor.com and maybe https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ for a little guidance. The beef strips with veg were excellent though. So you got it half right! :)

9. Stevefranky

Stevefranky · Member

Yes type 2 was diagnosed on the 7th june

10. Stevefranky

Stevefranky · Member

Thanks will check it out

11. Gaffer type 1

Gaffer type 1 LADA · Well-Known Member

Bread lethal

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook