Blood level low but is it bad?

londonboy

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi,

I am a 26 year old male. I wondered if please anyone could help me. I was getting very tired in the day the last few years, so I purchased a blood sugar level kit to see what my blood sugar level was as I thought I might have diabetes. I have been testing it daily for a few weeks, and often find a couple of hours after lunch, it is ranging 3.4 -4.

For breakfast I tend to eat Musli and a banana, for lunch a sandwich with around 7.g of sugar and a salad. I eat hardly any sugar these days, the only sugar I get is from fruit. I have been on this diet for six months trying to solve this fatigue issue, but alas it still happens. I have also cut out caffeine but again no luck. I really don't know what to do. Previously on my old diet I would eat around 50.g of sugar a day, and as a child I was drinking 1 lt of coke a day. I would go to the doctors but they are very dismissive due to my age. I have tried a diet with sugar, one with out sugar, one with only a bit of sugar, this problem still happens. I have a BMI of 23.

Thanks

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HI @londonboy what makes you think it is diabetes related? Tiredness can be caused by so many different things, have you had a blood test for things like anaemia or other vitamin deficiencies?

It's also worth noting that it isn't just "sugar" that would affect you if it is diabetes - your muesli, banana and sandwich will all contain carbs that will be converted to sugar and cause highs if you were diabetic

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @londonboy :)

Blood glucose meters have a margin of error so your 'low' blood sugars may be perfectly normal :) My consultant said that normal blood sugar could be as low as 3.5 approx

There are many reasons for fatigue eg anaemia, so you'd be better off seeing a doctor and gettimg a proper diagnosis. A doctor would be happy to do a few basic tests for you :)

Diabetes is a condition of high blood sugar not low :) Normal blood sugar in people without diabetes fluctuates throughout the day. The blood glucose meters on sale aren't to be used for diagnostic purposes so you're better off seeing a doctor anyway :)

Edited to add that my non-diabetic friends have had levels such as 3.6 and have no health issues, so no, it's not "bad" necessarily.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Have you had all your blood cell levels, vitamin and mineral levels tested? Fatigue can be a symptom of many things, not just blood glucose issues.

High blood sugars do cause fatigue, and maybe you are seeing high levels soon after eating and then dropping too quickly. Have you tried testing before you eat, then at half hourly intervals for 3 hours?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think I know of one other person who has the same problem but I'm not sure if he is a member here. He has to eat and eat and eat to prevent weight loss. He has had diabetes since he was a child. Type1.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds a very different situation @ickihun

The OP hasn't mentioned weight loss and doesn't have diabetes. It would be best if they got other causes of tiredness ruled out.

londonboy

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thanks guys, I have been to the doctors a few months ago and they said my blood was fine, nothing was low vitamin wise.

Looking at the link reactive hypoglycaemia sounds a lot like what I have been getting. I will have to try adjusting my diet. Thanks for the link.

Edit: I do not have any issues with weight, I can keep weight very easily. A good sign I take it! Thanks.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@londonboy Its never wise to self-diagnose. If you think the symptoms of Reactive Hypoglycaemia sound like they might apply to,you, it's best to go back to your doctor and ask for an extended oral glucose tolerance test to see if you do have that.

Your blood sugar test results aren't abnormal.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm pleased your not diabetic @londonboy .

Tiredness can be caused by many things.
Return to your gp if your having constant tiredness which cannot be explained, for further investigation.
Let us know the outcome please. :)

Reactions: azure

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I would do a lot more testing with your monitor to find out if you do go that low, or have episodes of Hypoglycaemia. Use a food diary and record everything, if you do have episodes of Hypoglycaemia then you can show your GP.
You can have the symptoms of reactive hypoglycaemia but not have Hypoglycaemia.
Only tests will diagnose you, an eOGTT can be used to monitor your blood glucose levels through the test.
As has been said in the posts above, any of these symptoms could be anything to do with your organs, your hormones, yes, US men can be hormonal!

If you have any questions @londonboy please do ask and you can use our forum to put it in. As others because of similar circumstances and symptoms have found that taking action with diet can be helpful even if you don't have Hypoglycaemia.

Best wishes.