blood levels @ 3.6????

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
No it's not OK ! You need some fast acting carbs such as glucotabs, orange juice or a sugary drink NOW to bring your levels up. Be careful not to over correct.

Check after 15 minutes to see if your levels are coming up, if not then repeat glucotabs etc. If it is coming up then have a small carby snack to keep the level up.

Here is the link to our infomation on Hypos and how to treat them.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18529

jaykay

Any sugary drinks in the house? You need to be doing this now so if you don't have anything else at least eat the crisps I guess. Don't disappear for the rest of the evening either or we'll all be worried about you!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Crisps.....No.....they are much too slow acting. If you have no sugary foods available eat something with carbs in and don't drive at the moment. Get yourself a supply of Glucotabs/Dextrose Tabs etc and some Lucozade to keep handy.

Crisps are better than nothing.

You should in any case as a Type 2 'liver dump' shortly and the levels should rise. You will have to put up with any hypo symptoms until the levels are back above 4'ish.

flightdeck

I just feel normal (apart from the horrible crisps) the only thing i can add to my post is i had bad breath this morning (could this be anything as i look after my teeth and have never had bad breath?)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
If you feel 'normal' at 3.6 mmol/l that isn't really a good thing. You should be getting hypo symptoms before that........if you have been running low for a while then that would no doubt be the reason.

As for the 'bad breath.....could be many things, something that you have eaten, even due to a low carb regime. I've never had it however and I am now technically low carbing, not for too long though. Will be going back up to around 60g carbs per day soon from around 30g per day.

Trembling is just one of the many symptoms which are listed in the link that Sue posted here earlier. That is not 'normal' when Bg levels are normal, but could be when having low Bg levels. It will pass........

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Erm.....Yes. However as you have only drunk/eaten slow acting carbs it will take a while. Just relax and let it rise over time. Do you not have any fruit or Jam etc ?

jaykay

Trying to think what I have in my cupboards which would be good, Umm : fruit juice, honey, golden syrup, jelly cubes - eat like sweeties, Angel Delight or ready made puddings, tinned rice pudding or fruit, raisins or dried fruit. Any of those lurking at the back of a cupboard somewhere?

jaykay

Needs to be at least above 4.0 to not be a hypo. Trouble is you are eating carbs-which are too slow release. When you're having a hypo you need sugar to bump your bg up quicker. But at least you're going the right way :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Any rise is better....you will just have to wait it out and be Patient. Anyway, it must be teatime soon, that will help. You aren't going to come to any harm........I have had levels in the 2's and felt absolutely awful but over a period of time the levels rose to safer levels. Mind you I did use Glucotabs.

I conducted an experiment once and let the levels drop to 2.4 mmol/l I think, waited it out and gradually the levels rose because I 'liver dumped' glucose into my bloodstream. Not planning to do that one again as I felt awful for an hour or two after. Effects of the hypo...... :(

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
you could have used either your honey or the syrup, nice in warm milk, just a teaspoon, I usually over compenste, then check again after ? 15-20 mins if still low could sup a bit off teaspoon

take care

Unbeliever

I wonder if medication such as Januvia [sitagliptin} which is designed to stop the liver sending glucose into the blood stream[or so I understood it} would prevent the liver dump and make hypos more dangerous . In type 2 that is.