blood monitoring

jar777

please can anyone advise/offer some info? the g.p at my local practice didn't want to issue me with any test strips and had been refusing them since last autumn. she said it was a waste of time and just wants to up my metformin and then put me on insulin. i'm desperate to control the diabetes but am finding it hard to cope with no support from either the doctors or care group. i thought testing was vital?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Many Pcts will not fund strips for T2. Mine among them. Some of us now buy our own. the suppliers nave websites and it's far cheaper than the retail pharmacies. You could try telling your doctor that if he/she puts you on insulin, they will HAVE to give you strips.
The PCTs don't believe testing is vital, they are convinced that it makes no difference. Over the whole range of diabetic patients, that's probably true, seeing as lots don't even bother to control their BG.
I have now achieved a non-diabetic level of control, on minimal medication, by eating a low carb diet and testing once a day. Strips which I buy from Abbott Diabetes Care, who supplieed my meter.
I don't find it easy to afford strips as I'm a pensioner, but I'm economical with them. I use 1 or 2 per day.
i've tried arguing with my PCT, but they won't budge
Hana

dianeb

Don't panic. I too was controlled by Metforim (max dosage) and hated the finger pricking. I agreed with the nurse to test my Hb1ac (hope I got that in the right order!) every three months. This was great as it gave me a running everage without stressing me out if I got a wierd reading.

She also insisted that I have the test strips as you do need to test if you are off colour or un-well.

Insist that you have strips, although they do set limits for how many you can have. You can buy them over the counter, although they are not cheap.

if they do start you on insulin, even the once a day stuff, as a minimum you need to test before you go to bed so you will need the strips.

Hope this helps?

jar777

thankyou,it does help to know others have similar problems. the last time i spoke to the dietician she wanted me to up the carbs but instinctively i veer towards low carb. i think i'll try that again.i'll buy my own stips in future, it's not worth the hassle.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I haven't asked my GP yet for strips, but just presuming I will be refused. I buy my own strips from suppliers on Ebay. I also have a Abbott Freestyle Freedom Lite which I bought for £7 in Asda a few weeks back. Sadly only 10 test strips.
Testing does make a difference, I have recently found that out. Throughout the day I average around 5.7- 7.3 depending on food intake. When I started testing two weeks ago my morning fasting levels were 7.8, they have now dropped to 5.7 :mrgreen:
I would suggest buy a monitor, do some testing, fasting, before meals, 2 hours after meals and keep a record. Don't forget to mark down what you eat and see how different foods affect you. Then show it to your GP, DN on your next visit.
I am going to print out my results for my DN appointment next week, see how I go from there.
You can also get a free monitor from some suppliers. I recently got a Bayer Contour by ringing them and telling them a friend had recommended their monitor. It came the next day and included 50 strips and lancets.

Franky69uk

Try as I might I'm struggling to get my fasting BG to under 7. It has been as high as 9.5 when I first started testing. This morning's was 7.1 and around 7.0 now appears to be the pattern. I'm on 4 Metformin a day and have lost a stone via a low carb diet. Without testing I would have not known where my BG was. I buy my own strips and am using an Accu-Chek Compact. Have been testing regularly until I can see a pattern emerging. Strips are not cheap around £19 plus for 50. Not approached my practice yet to see if they will prescribe them but in the past when I have asked if I should use a meter they have said no. i can honestly say that without testing I would not have been able to determine how to control BG. When I first started testing my initial readings after breakfast were 15.5 one morning and 11.5 another on what I thought was a healthy meal of cereal and toast.
Having said all this (sorry to bore people). I would like to work on getting the fasting BG a little nearer to 5. Any suggestions would breally be appreciated.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Franky.
It all depends on what your pre bedtime test reading is ? If it is high or low. Do you eat late ? What time, what sort of food ?

That information might help us to help you get to grips with this.

Ken

Franky69uk

hi cugila thanks for your reply. I have not really tested for a bedtime reading but now I will. I dont eat much if anything at all after the evening meal which is generally finished before 7pm. If I do feel a bit peckish I try to eat a piece of fruit or recently a few spoonfuls of the Hartley Sugar free jelly which a nurse recommended.
I will now start doing a BG reading just before bedtime
Thanks for your help

dianeb

Hiya

There is a thing called the 'dawn phenomenon' . Essentially your body starts to release glucose when you wake up to allow you to go kill woolly mammoth for breakfast.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
dianeb said:
Hiya

There is a thing called the 'dawn phenomenon' . Essentially your body starts to release glucose when you wake up to allow you to go kill woolly mammoth for breakfast.

It is a very sophisticated design! 8) :D

Sue Morton

I have newly been diagnosed diabetic type 2 and was told by the doctor that I don't need to test but if you don't test how on earth do you know if your blood sugar is high or low? If we as type 2's want to get our diabetis under control we have to know what puts our sugars up and what doesn't so the comment about keeping a record of what you eat and what your count was from that food is good because we could eventually control our diabetis by what we eat and not from metformin etc and in the end will save the NHS a lot of money by coming off the drugs. I am having a job at the moment of getting my blood sugar down. My first count that got me diagnosed was 25.3 which seems very high and now have ranges from 8 to 12 mostly the higher count. I now have porridge for breakfast with one of those small low fat yoguts, salad for lunch and some evenings. Getting to grips with my diet and my diabetis is hard as all the things you can't eat which never bothered me before now I would love to have them. Its what you can't have you now want fever. :shock: :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sue.
Here is the advice we usually hand out to newly diagnosed Type 2's. You may know some of it already but have a read it may have some things which may help you.

Here is the advice we usually give to newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics.This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different .

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating then two hours after eating you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

As a Type 2 the latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.
If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do 30 minutes moderate exercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

Ken