Type 2 Blood Pressure Meds Side Effects?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Ponchu Can you explain what side effects and what medication you are taking for clarity ?

Reactions: Ponchu

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I had a form that caused my legs to swell. Eventually they changed to an alternative type. Unfortunately I cannot recall the name. Will try and find out.

They have a lot of choice at their disposal apparently so it is easy to switch around.

Later : Just checked. It was Felodepine.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I was prescribed Ramipril and experienced its known side effect of an horrendous cough. Unfortunately nobody I saw about it put it together and I was given all kinds of meds for the cough, including hospital consultation and eventually I was told it was reflux.

I spent a couple of years eating Gaviscon and not getting any better until I was having a meds review with a pharmacist and had a coughing attack in front of her - which is when she asked if I knew that this is a well known side effect of Ramipril. I went to my GP that day, swapped to another med and the cough was gone within two weeks.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed Ramipril and experienced its known side effect of an horrendous cough. Unfortunately nobody I saw about it put it together and I was given all kinds of meds for the cough, including hospital consultation and eventually I was told it was reflux.

I spent a couple of years eating Gaviscon and not getting any better until I was having a meds review with a pharmacist and had a coughing attack in front of her - which is when she asked if I knew that this is a well known side effect of Ramipril. I went to my GP that day, swapped to another med and the cough was gone within two weeks.
I take Ramipril. How much were you taking?

I do have a slight cough but only slight.

Reactions: Ponchu and Chook

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perindolpril, here, reduced from 8 to 4 mgs not long ago as BP's were "too" low. No side effexts that I am aware of....

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a terrible cough with Ramipril, didn't stay on it very long. I noticed that one of the workmen at work had to same cough so I told him to get a change of med.

Reactions: Ponchu and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take Ramipril. How much were you taking?

I do have a slight cough but only slight.

I can't remember. I got a slight cough with the minimum dose then when the dose was increased so did the cough. I have Candesartan now with no side effects.

Reactions: Ponchu and Listlad

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed with type 2 I was on Ramipril and Amlodipine for my BP. After 9 months of low carbing and losing a shed load of weight my BP was too low causing dizzy spells. I opted to stop the Amlodipine as it can raise blood sugars. My blood sugars did drop very slightly after stopping it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed with type 2 I was on Ramipril and Amlodipine for my BP. After 9 months of low carbing and losing a shed load of weight my BP was too low causing dizzy spells. I opted to stop the Amlodipine as it can raise blood sugars. My blood sugars did drop very slightly after stopping it.
Do you mind if I ask how low your BP got to @Rachox. Mine seems to be coming down at the moment.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you mind if I ask how low your BP got to @Rachox. Mine seems to be coming down at the moment.
I can’t remember the exact readings but it’s ticking along nicely at 120 something over 70 something now which is normal, so it was lower than that!

Reactions: Ponchu and Listlad

Ponchu

Side effect: losing balance upon rising.

MD warned me that he has to get up slowly.

Well, I have been off them for 6 months now and this side effect has never gone away.

I was on them for a few months.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I also had to come off Ramipril as my tongue became so swollenI found it difficult to talk. I’m now on Candesartan but have noticed I’m getting a dry cough.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Dodo

That swollen tongue must have been absolutely terrifying.

I'm okay with Candesartan but if your cough annoys you then ask your doctor to switch you to something else. I tore muscles in my chest with my Ramipril cough.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of these days in the future, they will produce these drugs with absolutely no side effects whatsoever. :D

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I had the Rampril cough too and swapped to Losartan. My chemist couldn’t get my usual 50g dose one day so I was given 2 x 25g instead but as soon as I took them my face became puffy and I developed a rash which resulted in very dry skin for a few weeks. I’m now on Candasartan with no side effects as yet.

Reactions: Chook