Blood sugar 241 mg/dl 40 minutes after eating

MissKitty33

Hello I am new here and I wanted to ask if it is too high for a healthy
person to have such a spike 45 minutes after eating some chocolate bars, unsweetend coffee, an apple and some grapes or can it be normal? I felt a bit strange, some weird stomach feeling and hungry, but I was really shocked about this number...

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Do you have diabetes, if so which type? As a T2 you are eating stuff I wouldn't. Test again 2 hours after the first bits. Read the link in my signature.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I am new here and I wanted to ask if it is too high for a healthy
person to have such a spike 45 minutes after eating some chocolate bars, unsweetend coffee, an apple and some grapes or can it be normal? I felt a bit strange, some weird stomach feeling and hungry, but I was really shocked about this number...
"As a healthy person", I take that to mean you are not currently diagnosed with diabetes? It is a bit high, yes. If you're concerned about blood sugar levels, get in touch with your GP and request a HbA1c test to see whether you might be (pre-) diabetic. They might just send you the form so you don't have to come in to the practice. Don't put it off, as the sooner you catch a possible problem, the sooner you can deal with it and prevent any damage.

MissKitty33

Thank you for your fast replies.
I am going to buy a new meter, because it was not mine.
My last Hb1ac was more than a year ago at a normal bloodwork and about 5,6...
My last bloodwork was also normal some months ago when I had my last blood check because of neurological symptoms. I had slightly abnormal copper metabolism, which could not be explained but the rest was all normal...
But when I look back the last years I often had strange feelings and hunger between meals, so I always thought I had low sugar and bought a meter. The results were mostly in the 90 to 140s when I measured them. But I remember I had some periods of time, when I had fasting sugars of about 100 to 110 or spikes after an hour to around 180, then 100-140 after two hours. Then it went back to normal again with values around 120 all day long. So I didn't measure regularly for a longer time.
I am female, normalweight at the low end and 32 years old. My granddad had type 2 from age 55, he was also only slightly overweight. The last days I did more walking and ate less carbs.
I will check my values when I will have my new meter and keep you updated. If there are still many strange results I have to go to the doctor...

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know what you mean but, as someone with Type 1 diabetes, I don’t like to be described as “unhealthy”.
I have a broken pancreas but the rest of me works better than the average person of my age.
Many people would consider that I am being overly sensitive but, please consider the language used.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry that was not meant that way. So I meant as a nondiabetic person.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds high for a healthy BG parameter.

If you've had these test strips a fair while? It maybe worth checking the use by date on the container..

Certainly contact your doctor with your concerns. & by all means, let us know how you got on. :)

HenrikS

What does the Low Carb Program(me) do? I am using CalorieCounter by Nutracheck which gives me really good insights into my food intake. Would this programme provide me with anything else?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
What does the Low Carb Program(me) do? I am using CalorieCounter by Nutracheck which gives me really good insights into my food intake. Would this programme provide me with anything else?

Does Calorie Counter also count carbs?

The aim of low carb eating is not to eat low calorie, but to get calories from foods other than carbohydrates.

HenrikS

Does Calorie Counter also count carbs?

The aim of low carb eating is not to eat low calorie, but to get calories from foods other than carbohydrates.

It does indeed. Calories and all macro nutrients. Very easy to see where you get your calories from. I was just wondering what the Low Carb Program would help me with.