1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood sugar and ketosis

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by benjo123456, Dec 8, 2017.

1. benjo123456

benjo123456 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi. Sorry about all the questions, but I can't find the answer elsewhere on the internet:

What happens to our blood sugar reading if we are in ketosis and adjusted to fat burning? Will it simply settle on a level and then stop there, or will the ketones we produce naturally raise blood sugar levels?

2. laup

laup · Member

usually hovers around 4-5.5mmols BG, sometimes* lower depending on activty

anything above <0.3mmol ketones u will be in the start of ketosis

• Like Like x 1
  3. diamondnostril

diamondnostril Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @benjo123456 . . .

Blood-sugar levels will generally stay a bit lower than what is considered to be "normal", when in dietary Ketosis.

Gluconeogenesis (release of Glycogen from the liver) will keep the blood-sugar levels up to where the body needs them to be, in the absence of much dietary Carbs.

The attached file is an excerpt from "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald, a very big and thorough book about the topic. I have found this book extremely useful. If you have lots of questions about the Keto diet then perhaps it's useful to you too? I have the book as a PDF file if you'd like me to send to you. Let me know if so.

Regards :)
    Antony

edited for small correction

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    #3 diamondnostril, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:10 PM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  4. benjo123456

Thanks for that. That chart is very useful. I'd appreciate the pdf too.

#4 benjo123456, Dec 9, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  5. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

My bg stays between 75-90 most of the time. Sometimes a little higher fasting if I had a larger dinner.
    I do have to watch my protein though as I gluconeogenisis like a rock star.
    If you keep your carbs below 20, moderate your protein ( 50-75 g depending on exercise) and fill the rest in with fats you should donquite well. Spread your protein and carbs out though. Not all at one meal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

The two systems are not interlinked - low carb diets will induce ketosis, but ketones are the result of metabolizing fats - there could be high ketones and high blood glucose, or high ketones and low blood sugar, or any situation in between, throw in variations in insulin from the pancreas or by injection and it is anyone's guess as to what the numbers might become - but there is no relationship.

7. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think this might over simplify what gluconogenesis is. It isn't simply the release of glycogen from the liver. It is the creation of glucose by the liver when glycogen stores are low. If no glucose coming in (because you are low carbing) your liver will turn amino acids from proteins eaten and glycerol from fats eaten into glucose. So if you are low carbing your blood sugar levels will still be affected by what you eat, just in a different way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. benjo123456

That's helpful, thanks

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook